Migration delay question

selac

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I have same questions about migration delay function in storage pool.

So, i have a VTL_STORAGE_POOL (which is used by Virtual tape libraray and acting like LTO4) and next storage pool is LTO4_POOL (which is used by standard LTO4 tape library). On the first storage pool i have set migration delay 30 days (highthreshold is 80 % and low is 30 %).

What happens if today is 28th day and storage pool reaches 90 % and I have migdelay=30 days migcontinue=no.

1. what (how old) file will be moved to next storage pool ?

2. will TSM move first older files and than newer or it doesn't matter ?

2. when will migration stop ? at 30 % ????

Thanks for answers :)

First I have some additional questions....

1. Do you have a diskpool? That is normally where the mig delay option is set. And its usually configured to hold about a days worth of backup data.

2. Is your VTL the primary pool? Is your physical tape library a copy pool?
Why wouldn't you instead just copy your storage pools from VTL to physical tape daily?

We have our TSM servers configured with a diskpool for multi threaded backup to disk. Our next pool is our CDL that we migrate to daily. We also copy storage pools from the CDL to the DR site library.

See "help upd stgpool" and then look at the migdelay and migcontinue entries. This is all explained quite well in there.

So from the above help...

1. if migcontinue=no then nothing will be migrated if there is nothing that meets the migdelay value.

2. I'm not sure, but I suspect it is not purely based on the age of the files. It might still use the normal method of biggest filespace first or whatever it is, and then just migrate files that meet the age threshold within each filespace.

3. Migration will stop when the lo threshold is reached, except if migcontinue=no and there's nothing more that can be migrated it will stop before the lo threshold.

Thanks for answeres.

Jeff:
1. Yes, i have diskpool, but in this case it doesn't matter, because i need to know for this storage pool where is VTL using and acting like LTO4 and next storage pool is LTO4 tape library.
2. No, VTL is primary pool and tape library is secondary, not copy pool.
Because I want to keep files in VTL for 30 days and then migrate to Tape library. VTL is faster with loading virtual tapes and also can use more mount points.

I didn't get the answer I want even not from h upd stg:

I would like to know if the storage pool reaches 100% (HI=80%), will tsm start or not moving filles to next storage pool at 80%, even if the files are 25 days old and migcontinue is set to NO (migdelay is set to 30 days) ?????
If will start moving will it move till lo=30% or it will move older files first (but files are 25 days old) ????

Like BBB said: if tsm move files by method of biggest filespace, than this is not useful for me, bacuse I would like to have file from 1-30 days on VTL. If the storage pool gets full, it shoul move first the oldest files, even if today is 25th day ?

Sorry for that, but I need to know this,

Thaks :)

Thanks for answeres.

Jeff:
1. Yes, i have diskpool, but in this case it doesn't matter, because i need to know for this storage pool where is VTL using and acting like LTO4 and next storage pool is LTO4 tape library.
2. No, VTL is primary pool and tape library is secondary, not copy pool.
Because I want to keep files in VTL for 30 days and then migrate to Tape library. VTL is faster with loading virtual tapes and also can use more mount points.

I didn't get the answer I want even not from h upd stg:

I would like to know if the storage pool reaches 100% (HI=80%), will tsm start or not moving filles to next storage pool at 80%, even if the files are 25 days old and migcontinue is set to NO (migdelay is set to 30 days) ?????
If will start moving will it move till lo=30% or it will move older files first (but files are 25 days old) ????

Like BBB said: if tsm move files by method of biggest filespace, than this is not useful for me, bacuse I would like to have file from 1-30 days on VTL. If the storage pool gets full, it shoul move first the oldest files, even if today is 25th day ?

Sorry for that, but I need to know this,

Thaks :)

If migcontinue=no and nothing meets the migdelay then your pool will stay above your thresholds.

thanks guys one more time, now everything is clear :) !!!!!

Back