Is the Volume Shadow Service required on Windows Server?

osi9400

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

How does TSM use the Windows Volume Shadow Service (VSS)? Is this is a requirement for the BA Client? What do I lose by not running it?

Thanks.

PREDATAR Control23

Enabled by default on Windows XP, Windows 2003 and up.

VSS adds some sort of snapshot functionality (but formally called shadow copies) for system related or application files so TSM or any other backup software can do backups without access errors being displayed.

You can opt of not using VSS but note that system related files may not be backed up properly.

Read this link for an explanation of VSS: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc785914.aspx

Further:

Tivoli Storage Manager Backup-Archive Client

This Tivoli Storage Manager component has the VSS Requestor intelligence that facilitates communication to the Volume Shadow Copy Service to perform VSS operations. Specifically, a component called the DSM Agent provides access to the VSS interface functions within Tivoli Storage Manager Backup-Archive Client. The DSM Agent also enables the exploitation of VSS by other Tivoli Storage Manager clients. In the case of Tivoli Storage Manager for Copy Services, it is the Data Protection Client that communicates with the DSM Agent to perform the VSS Backup of the application server.

Last edited:
PREDATAR Control23

Well if you plan to have any Windows 2008 clients you'll need the VSS writers.

The writers are used for system state and open files. We added the following line to our dsm.opt file to grab the problematic open OS files on W2K8.

INCLUDE.FS C: SNAPSHOTPROVIDERFS=VSS

PREDATAR Control23

Thanks for the replies. I have noticed that the BAClient (5.5.x.x) cannot be opened unless the VSS service is running. Has anyone else seen this?

PREDATAR Control23

I have not seen that. Our Volume Shadow Copy service is set to manual. It starts when the GUI is opened.

EDIT: Also worth noting is that 5.5.2 fixes a bunch of bugs that were a real PITA. If you aren't on 5.5.2 yet go take a look at all active and inactive system state backups. See how long it takes to populate that window. For use the GUI would immediately go to not responding. After the 5.5.2 upgrade it processed requests much faster.