The age old debate File vs VTL

djchopps0013

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
We are in the market to replace our HP VLS (VTL). Its relatively new and has actually performed quite well. So why are we replacing? When getting some qoutes to up capacity another 100TB and buy dedupe licenes we get something like a million dollar qoute. So we are looking at other vendors. So do we buy another VTL or just a bunch of enexpensive disks?

ok, ok so I have in my TSM career only used VTL appliances, but I am trying not to be biased about the differences. SO ANY with File device class experience any pro/cons?

I have never used VTL personally, but I see no reason not to use inexpensive disks, and file device class. Unless you are depending on SAN replication for DR, there should be no discernible difference as far as i can see.

I have never used VTL personally, but I see no reason not to use inexpensive disks, and file device class. Unless you are depending on SAN replication for DR, there should be no discernible difference as far as i can see.

Replication would be a big part of the new design but thats not to say it cant be replicated by another appliance.

both have pro's and con's.. i've use devclass=file and VTL'S. One thing I love from VTL'S it's there HW compression cards. You dont have it devclass=file. if you have 100TB usable you cannot compress more data.. on a VTL you can.

But if you are going TSM 6.1 you could use the "dedup" function. You cant have it in VTL since you emulate a tape library.

Another interesting point using devclass=file, if you need more volumes just define them in TSM and zoom it's doneand if you neeed more "mount point" just add volumes. With VTL's, you have to create the tape.. check them in and blablabla.. For the drive.. you have to create them in the VTL.. define them in TSM and you know the drill.

When using devclass=file you have to think how to maximize your storage to have maximum performance. Type of raid how many spindle per raid, cluster size etc. and it's really rare that have a dedicated tower for backup only. Management will ask to use the free space or unused sapce for other perpose.

VTL are out of the box dedicated storage towers for backup. they came mostly optimize for that.

this is my 2 cents...

both have pro's and con's.. i've use devclass=file and VTL'S. One thing I love from VTL'S it's there HW compression cards. You dont have it devclass=file. if you have 100TB usable you cannot compress more data.. on a VTL you can.

But if you are going TSM 6.1 you could use the "dedup" function. You cant have it in VTL since you emulate a tape library.

Another interesting point using devclass=file, if you need more volumes just define them in TSM and zoom it's doneand if you neeed more "mount point" just add volumes. With VTL's, you have to create the tape.. check them in and blablabla.. For the drive.. you have to create them in the VTL.. define them in TSM and you know the drill.

When using devclass=file you have to think how to maximize your storage to have maximum performance. Type of raid how many spindle per raid, cluster size etc. and it's really rare that have a dedicated tower for backup only. Management will ask to use the free space or unused sapce for other perpose.

VTL are out of the box dedicated storage towers for backup. they came mostly optimize for that.

this is my 2 cents...

Cool good info WIPET.

Back