Failed TDP Automated Backup ver. 5.5 clustered

prairdon

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am having trouble getting TDP to work on a cluster. This is my first cluster install. If I call up the GUI I can run a successful backup. If I try to kick off the back up from the CMD file it fails with the following error:

Backup of master failed.
ACO5422E Received the following from the MS SQL server:
An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch.
Cannot open backup device 'TDPSQL-00001688-0000'. Operating system error 0x80070002(The system cannot find the file specified.).

BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

This is a two server active/passive cluster. I have TDP set up identically on both servers with the clusternode set to yes in the dsm.opt. My CMD files are located in a directory just off of c: and this is the line that is used to call the backup:

%sql_dir%\tdpsqlc backup master full /sqlserver=sqlserver01 /tsmoptfile=%sql_dir%\dsm.opt /logfile=%sql_dir%\masterFull.log >> %sql_dir%\sqlsched.log

I have a feeling this has something to do with the clustering but I can't figure out what. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Setting up TDP backups for Cluster is not the same as for single node systems. The error you are getting looks like a configuration issue.

Is the database located on a Shared resource (shared disk)? As you know, this is mandatory for Clustering to work properly, and for TDP for SQL to work as designed. Here are a few tips.

One common problem is the definition of the SQL server node name. The node name must be the virtual node name.

Another thing to consider is the setup of the backup services for the TDP environment. The TSM service that will handle the TDP backup must be set using the MS Cluster Admin Manager MMC. Fail over should work well for the TDP backup to work properly.

There is no GUI setup for TDP for SQL. You need to use the dsmcsutil command to setup the environment properly.

Last edited:
Another thing to consider is the setup of the backup services for the TDP environment. The TSM service that will handle the TDP backup must be set using the MS Cluster Admin Manager MMC. Fail over should work well for the TDP backup to work properly.

...Just a hint, here, as a side note to setting up a properly Cluster administered service: Set up local services on each node, first, but set them to start up manually and do NOT start them when you finish setting them up, and the name of the service needs to be identical on both nodes. Then set up a resource type "generic service" on the cluster to administer them, and it MUST be called an identical name to the local services you set up on each node.

When you are setting up this service in the cluster administrator, *UNTICK* the "affects the group" box on the Advanced tab of the properties. If you don't it gets the cluster stuck in a failover loop whenever you try to run a backup.

This is a two server active/passive cluster. I have TDP set up identically on both servers with the clusternode set to yes in the dsm.opt. My CMD files are located in a directory just off of c: and this is the line that is used to call the backup:

%sql_dir%\tdpsqlc backup master full /sqlserver=sqlserver01 /tsmoptfile=%sql_dir%\dsm.opt /logfile=%sql_dir%\masterFull.log >> %sql_dir%\sqlsched.log

I have a feeling this has something to do with the clustering but I can't figure out what. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Just as a better practice, put your command files on the same disk as what you are trying to back up, so that you only have one path and it travels with the cluster.

Having said that, however, this may not be a clustering issue, but an issue with the permissions of whatever account the command runs under by default. Have you checked out http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docvi...67&loc=en_US&cs=UTF-8&lang=en&rss=ct666tivoli ?

Thank you for your responses. Unfortunately my struggles continue. I have named my node the exact name of the virtual server and have moved my dsm.opt file to a shared directory. I have given the service the same login that runs my Sql Server so permission should not be an issue. I still can't get a back up to run through the scheduler and when I double click on my CMD file it errors saying it can't open the backup device. Everything says this should work but it doesn't. Any ideas? Thank you!

I have given the service the same login that runs my Sql Server so permission should not be an issue. I still can't get a back up to run through the scheduler and when I double click on my CMD file it errors saying it can't open the backup device.

When you attempt to run the TDP backup CMD, are you logged in as the account that runs the SQL Server as you mentioned. Even if you are logged in as Administrator, access rights seems broken for this environment type. I have seen this before.

Back