Full Backup Using "dsmc selective": how to?

c.j.hund

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Greetings,

Just when you think you've got TSM figured out, something comes your way you've never tried before. I need to do a "full" backup from the command line for a large group of UX systems. Of course, I'm trying to get this done using the "dsmc selective" command, but I can't seem to find a way to issue this command to pick up everything.

I THOUGHT issuing the command like this would do the trick:
dsmc selective "/*" -subdir=yes

And that does pick up a lot of the filesystems, but for some reason it doesn't pick up everything. It may not pick up certain filesystem types. For example, if you do a "dsmc q file", it'll show you every filesystem on your box, but I think issuing the "dsmc selective" command the way I did it above only picks up filesystems of type UFS.

Does anyone know a way to issue the "dsmc sel" command such that it will backup everything local (everything in a df -k that isn't attached from a storage device)? I was hoping to do this with wildcards and not have to cut/paste every local filesystem into the command.

Sincere thanks,
C.J.

check dsm.opt for
domain /fs1
domain /fs2 etc. (all filesystems must be listed)
and try again

Not at home on *UX really, but doesn't that platform have something similar to the Windows -domain=all-local?

Not at home on *UX really, but doesn't that platform have something similar to the Windows -domain=all-local?

I'm working out a way to do it by doing a "dsmc q fi > <filename>", and then using that filename as input ... but I was hoping to avoid all that by being able to specify the "all-local" domain. I don't know if we can do that on UX.

sometimes domain=all-local doesn't work for me and I use listed them one by one .)

To achieve a full backup, the alternate method is to set your copygroups (see upd copygroup) to mode=absolute rather than mode=modified and just run an incremental.

Don't forget to change them back.

To achieve a full backup, the alternate method is to set your copygroups (see upd copygroup) to mode=absolute rather than mode=modified and just run an incremental.

Don't forget to change them back.

That's a great idea! I hadn't thought of that, thank you.

create a script which contains upd copygr mode to absolute val poli, act poli and dsmc i and use it on the presched, and visa versa for postsched to change it back to incremental... hmmm I like it too :)

Back