Spectrum Container STGP Operations and Recovery Problems

Cracken

Newcomer
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hi! It was a long time to wait - I had been out of TSM for almost 12 years - (tending to Networker/Data Domain/IDPA Avamar/DDVE/Commvault/Pure) and now inherited a Spectrum Protect site to support with challenging issues at hand. Let me give a situation overview.

We have Container STGPOOLS - and server A replicating/protect stgp to remote server B - but each run returns a FAILURE now for months because hordes of damaged files are reported. Besides having lost server A stgpooldir disks some time back, that got replaced, but not rebuild (if one could). On server B side a TAPECOPY container pool was used to take data from the container stgpool on server B - and that stopped about 18 months ago. To add insult most of the backed up data uses NO LIMIT retention settings.

My process followed and planned was/is to perform AUDIT container markd and removed actions on all "lost" stgpooldirs which were still present but marked either destroyed or unavailable. Those processes bar one are completed now. So I am marking the stgpooldirs as destroyed and tried to delete it. It comes back and tells me there are active containers so it fails. I checked the reusedelay for each stgpool and its set to 1. Should have been expired by now. What can be the cause here?

Once I succeeded with the cleanups of the lost stgpooldirs/containers I hope to do a tapecopy repair on server B container stgpool which is the target for server A container stgp. Will my "current "data" be preserved? Is there a danger of corrupting latest backup data in server B doing so? And once that repair on server B is done all OK can I use that to repair the stgp in server A without loosing server A data? I.e. is my logic plausible here and practically sound?

I am awaiting a re-license of this site with IBM and then only can approach IBM on this. The site was suppose to have migrated off to another competitive product - has not happened as planned yet.

I know this is a long topic - but might be a very good explanatory piece of work to illustrate Spectrum full functionality.
And yes I am working through Tricia Jiang's site - which gave me the master plan I ask about now.

Kindest regards

Campbell

PREDATAR Control23

Hi! It was a long time to wait - I had been out of TSM for almost 12 years - (tending to Networker/Data Domain/IDPA Avamar/DDVE/Commvault/Pure) and now inherited a Spectrum Protect site to support with challenging issues at hand. Let me give a situation overview.

We have Container STGPOOLS - and server A replicating/protect stgp to remote server B - but each run returns a FAILURE now for months because hordes of damaged files are reported. Besides having lost server A stgpooldir disks some time back, that got replaced, but not rebuild (if one could). On server B side a TAPECOPY container pool was used to take data from the container stgpool on server B - and that stopped about 18 months ago. To add insult most of the backed up data uses NO LIMIT retention settings.

My process followed and planned was/is to perform AUDIT container markd and removed actions on all "lost" stgpooldirs which were still present but marked either destroyed or unavailable. Those processes bar one are completed now. So I am marking the stgpooldirs as destroyed and tried to delete it. It comes back and tells me there are active containers so it fails. I checked the reusedelay for each stgpool and its set to 1. Should have been expired by now. What can be the cause here?

Once I succeeded with the cleanups of the lost stgpooldirs/containers I hope to do a tapecopy repair on server B container stgpool which is the target for server A container stgp. Will my "current "data" be preserved? Is there a danger of corrupting latest backup data in server B doing so? And once that repair on server B is done all OK can I use that to repair the stgp in server A without loosing server A data? I.e. is my logic plausible here and practically sound?

I am awaiting a re-license of this site with IBM and then only can approach IBM on this. The site was suppose to have migrated off to another competitive product - has not happened as planned yet.

I know this is a long topic - but might be a very good explanatory piece of work to illustrate Spectrum full functionality.
And yes I am working through Tricia Jiang's site - which gave me the master plan I ask about now.

Kindest regards

Campbell
Hi, an update - the site's Spectrum License has been renewed - so a case with IBM has been opened an hour or so ago. - Thanks