filesystem move from node

ammu440

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I wanted to move the filesystem of one nodeA to nodeB.
\\nodeA\c$ to \\nodeB\e$

Can it be done by just renaming the node? If so how about the old backups from old node? Backups will still exist on the new node after renaming ? Please suggest

Hi, if you rename NodeA to NodeB, it will still be the same node as before, it will just have a new nodename and still own all the same data.

However, after the change, the original filespaces will still have the same name as before you change the nodename. Any new filespaces will be named \\NodeB\.... You can leave the old filespaces as-is if you want (easiest). So if you want to restore something from the C: of the old system, you restore from the filespace that has the old name.

Hi, if you rename NodeA to NodeB, it will still be the same node as before, it will just have a new nodename and still own all the same data.

However, after the change, the original filespaces will still have the same name as before you change the nodename. Any new filespaces will be named \\NodeB\.... You can leave the old filespaces as-is if you want (easiest). So if you want to restore something from the C: of the old system, you restore from the filespace that has the old name.

What if we also rename filespace of the old node to the new node?

I have tried renaming the filespace of NodeA to NodeB. Unfortunately it doesnot work.

rename filespace nodename \\NodeA\d$ \\NodeB\d$

ANR0852E RENAME FILESPACE: No matching file spaces found for node NodeA

Though the filespace is present under Node A, it says no match found

It’s a Windows filespace, so you have to specify that it is Unicode. I don’t remember the syntax, but you can use HELP RENAME FILESPACE.

What if we also rename filespace of the old node to the new node?
If it was backed up on a machine with a different name, probably best to keep the original name. The filespaces names actually don't reflect the nodename, but the machine name. It's common and it makes sense to name the node the same as the machine, but it's not a requirement.

I guess I don't know what you are trying to achieve here, so I can't answer if it makes sense to rename the filespace name from \\machineA\d$ to \\machineB\d$. Regardless if you rename the filespace or not, the filespace will follow the node after you rename nodeA to nodeB.

Back