Migrate data from sequential pool to random access pool?

zbot

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hi,

Currently we have a disk/random access pool migrating daily to a large LTO tape/sequential pool. We are getting rid of tape and now have enough space in our disk pool to hold everything. I want to "flush" all the data from the sequential pool back into the disk pool. My thought was to update the sequential pool's NEXTSTG to the disk pool and migrate everything back up. It appears I cannot do that though:
Protect: JEFFERSON>upd stg tapepool next=diskpool
ANR2399E UPDATE STGPOOL: Storage pool DISKPOOL is not a sequential pool.
ANS8001I Return code 3.

Reading the help page it looks like this isn't supported:
NEXTstgpool
Specifies a primary storage pool to which files are migrated. You
cannot migrate data from a sequential access storage pool to a random
access storage pool.

Anyone have any suggestions how to to accomplish this?

Thanks!

PREDATAR Control23

Sequential file pools are recommended over random disk pools because they are more efficient. You can use predefined volumes to reduce disk fragmentation that happens when using scratch with file pools.

If you decide to go from sequential to random anyway, use MOVE DATA or MOVE NODEDATA.

PREDATAR Control23

Sequential file pools are recommended over random disk pools because they are more efficient. You can use predefined volumes to reduce disk fragmentation that happens when using scratch with file pools.

If you decide to go from sequential to random anyway, use MOVE DATA or MOVE NODEDATA.
Thanks! Our TSM instance is now very small and we only use it to backup a few things. We are no longer able to get hardware support from IBM for our tape library (3584) and wish to decommission it. That is why we are moving to a disk only solution.

I've used MOVE DATA before but I'm guessing I would have to do that for each of our individual tapes. I will look into MOVE NODEDATA as that might be easier. Thanks!

PREDATAR Control23

But, if you create a new sequential file pool, which is better than a random pool, you will be able to use migration from tape to the new file.pool, and from the random disk pool to the new file pool. And after the disk pool is empty, you can delete it and assign the space to the file pool.

It's a win across the board.

PREDATAR Control23

But, if you create a new sequential file pool, which is better than a random pool, you will be able to use migration from tape to the new file.pool, and from the random disk pool to the new file pool. And after the disk pool is empty, you can delete it and assign the space to the file pool.

It's a win across the board.
I think I understand now. I was confused as I thought disk pool could only be random and tape was always sequential. Thanks for your help!!