upgrade issues

ammu440

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hi all,

I have updated the tsm server from 8.1.x to 8.1.10, the update was success. but somehow i am unable to authetnicate with dsmadmc

I always get this error.

ANS1357S Session rejected: Downlevel client code version
ANS8023E Unable to establish session with server.

Please suggest

PREDATAR Control23

The server command line interface (dsmadmc) is not installed nor upgraded by default on Windows.
Need to restart the installation wizard, select custom and select Admin Command Line.

Good Luck,
Sias

PREDATAR Control23

Hello its selected and and am not talking about admin command line. I am having authentication issues with dsmadmc.

PREDATAR Control23

Use another admin id that you know works, and see if the admin ID in question is locked or not.

If the admin id is not locked.
Check the dsm.sys or the dsm.opt and see if the TCPServeraddress is pointing to the correct TSM Server.

Good Luck,
Sias

PREDATAR Control23

1. Do you get prompted for admin ID and password or do you get the error before that?
  2. Try updating that admin security to transitional and see if it helps.
  3. And what does the server activity log show when you try to login with that administrator?

PREDATAR Control23

1. Do you get prompted for admin ID and password or do you get the error before that?
  2. Try updating that admin security to transitional and see if it helps.
  3. And what does the server activity log show when you try to login with that administrator?
Yes it prompted for admin ID and password and then it throwed the above mentioned error.
I have updated the security to transitional and also for the nodes.
actlog doesnot sa

PREDATAR Control23

actlog doesnot sa
It's odd that the actlog doesn't show anything, you should double-check.

I have updated the security to transitional and also for the nodes.
Why the nodes? dsmadmc only uses admin IDs, not node IDs.

--

This might sound weird, but I have seen certificate issues with dsmadmc that are resolved by logging on to the server with dsmc first. I don't think dsmadmc does the certificate exchange, but dsm and dsmc do.
So try connecting with dsmc, if successful, then try connecting with dsmadmc.

PREDATAR Control23

It's odd that the actlog doesn't show anything, you should double-check.

Why the nodes? dsmadmc only uses admin IDs, not node IDs.

--

This might sound weird, but I have seen certificate issues with dsmadmc that are resolved by logging on to the server with dsmc first. I don't think dsmadmc does the certificate exchange, but dsm and dsmc do.
So try connecting with dsmc, if successful, then try connecting with dsmadmc.

is it somehow possible to update nodepassword using dsmc.

PREDATAR Control23

is it somehow possible to update nodepassword using dsmc.
No, that's done on the server. Note that you can use dsmadmc on any machine that has dsmadmc installed. So you can try installing it on another machine if you don't have one to temporarily get you on the server to do stuff.

I never run dsmadmc on the server, that's too much work and I'm lazy. I run it from my laptop, it saves me from doing a telnet session to the server before starting dsmadmc. I save probably 2 dozen keystrokes, do that a few times a day, that's over a 100, 500 a week, 2000 a month, 24000 a year, that's a lot of keystrokes.

PREDATAR Control23

A workaround if you can't get dsmadmc to connect at the moment, login to the ops center as an admin and use command builder. Just you need to make sure you updated the ops center to line up with your server version.

Also marlant,
I highly recommend a *nix box running screen or tmux. Virtual sessions that never disconnect when you disconnect. Set up SSH keys to the *nix box, never have to 'type' again unless your tsm server is restarted :)

PREDATAR Control23

Hi,

Try to update your admin id 'upd admin adminname sessionsec=trans'.

If that does not work

dsmadmc -traceflag=service -tracefile=c:\temp\trace.txt

Look for bugs around certificates.

PREDATAR Control23

Hi,

Try to update your admin id 'upd admin adminname sessionsec=trans'.

If that does not work

dsmadmc -traceflag=service -tracefile=c:\temp\trace.txt

Look for bugs around certificates.

I have update admin sessionsec to transitional. But still it doesnot work.

PREDATAR Control23

Try In dsmadmc:
update node "nodename" sessionsecurity=trans
update node "nodename" "nodename"
After this bounce the client acceptor on the node.