Use Domain Or Local Account For ISP Initial Configuration?

jayp2200

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

OK so this should be a simple thing, but I'm drawing a blank for some reason...

Our security team requires the use of domain service accounts in order to log in and install applications on our servers. For the server I am working on, the domain service account I'm using is a member of the local Administrators group. The problem is, I am trying to run the IBM Spectrum Protect Instance Configuration Wizard to create a new instance on a Windows 2012 R2 server, but it just hangs after the first "Next" button click.

If I set up a local admin on the server and log into that account when running the Configuration Wizard, I am able to go through the wizard normally. So my question is... how can I make it so that the domain service account has the same rights to the server as a local admin account would?

PREDATAR Control23

If I'm understanding you want a domain account to be a local admin of a machine?
Why not add the domain user to the local administrators group?

Anyhow, I'd just double check everything against the installation guide for Windows, so you don't run into pain later on.

PREDATAR Control23

It's easier if you create the instance with the user you intend to use. But you can also change it after the fact using this technote: https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/how-grantrevoke-access-ibm-spectrum-protect-server-database-tsmdb1

You may also need to update the variable DB2_GRP_LOOKUP that is normally set to local. You can issue db2set-all to see the current value and this doc to update it:

PREDATAR Control23

OK so I ended up convincing our security team to allow me to use a local account on the server. I was able to get the config done once I logged in as that user, so now I'm at the point where I am ready to perform the DB restore. However, when I run the restore db command I am now getting the error: ANR2969E Database restore terminated. DB2 sqlcode -2033 DB2 sqlerrmc: 168.

Any ideas how I can fix this issue?

PREDATAR Control23

OK so I ended up convincing our security team to allow me to use a local account on the server. I was able to get the config done once I logged in as that user, so now I'm at the point where I am ready to perform the DB restore. However, when I run the restore db command I am now getting the error: ANR2969E Database restore terminated. DB2 sqlcode -2033 DB2 sqlerrmc: 168.

Any ideas how I can fix this issue?

Well, never mind. I ended up commenting out the "passwordaccess generate" line in the tsmdbmgr.opt file, and then the db restore went on through.

PREDATAR Control23

Well, never mind. I ended up commenting out the "passwordaccess generate" line in the tsmdbmgr.opt file, and then the db restore went on through.

...or so I thought. Got some further errors so I uncommented the line. Back to getting the same DB2 error. After doing some further research, it mentions the possibility of having the wrong Spectrum Protect client version installed. So on the previous server instance, I had version 8.1.6.0 installed but on this new one I have version 8.1.6.1. Does this really matter?

PREDATAR Control23

I'm running Windows Server 2012 R2, not AIX. I've already done the same steps though, using this page: https://www.ibm.com/support/knowled...srv.install.doc/t_srv_prep_dbmgr-windows.html

I uninstalled the 8.1.6.1 version, then used this post to remove some related files: https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/a...estorerollforward-terminated-db2-sqlcode-2079

I then tried downloading the 8.1.6.0 version of the BA client from the FTP site, but when I try to install it, it fails and in the log it shows a 1603 error. From what I understand of Windows installer errors, that usually means some piece is missing or incorrect, whether it be a file or a directory path. If I try reinstaling 8.1.6.1, it goes through just fine, so I have no idea what is wrong with the 8.1.6.0 installer.

PREDATAR Control23

I'm running Windows Server 2012 R2, not AIX. I've already done the same steps though, using this page: https://www.ibm.com/support/knowled...srv.install.doc/t_srv_prep_dbmgr-windows.html

I uninstalled the 8.1.6.1 version, then used this post to remove some related files: https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/a...estorerollforward-terminated-db2-sqlcode-2079

I then tried downloading the 8.1.6.0 version of the BA client from the FTP site, but when I try to install it, it fails and in the log it shows a 1603 error. From what I understand of Windows installer errors, that usually means some piece is missing or incorrect, whether it be a file or a directory path. If I try reinstaling 8.1.6.1, it goes through just fine, so I have no idea what is wrong with the 8.1.6.0 installer.

OK so it turns out I also had to uninstall the IBM Spectrum Protect JVM as well before I could install the 8.1.6.0 BA client normally.

Either way, it makes no difference as I am still getting that pesky ANR2969E error.

PREDATAR Control23

Either way, it makes no difference as I am still getting that pesky ANR2969E error.
Still with sqlerrmc: 168? Becauuse the sqlerrmc, which is really a Spectrum Protect Client API return code passed back by DB2, is what determines the true cause.

PREDATAR Control23

Still with sqlerrmc: 168? Becauuse the sqlerrmc, which is really a Spectrum Protect Client API return code passed back by DB2, is what determines the true cause.

Yes, still the same 168 code.

I even ended up installing version 7.1.3.0 of the BA client, since it had the 32-bit and 64-bit API files, then installed the 8.1.6.0 version on top of it. Thought maybe it needed some older 32-bit files, but nope, still the same 168 error code no matter what.

PREDATAR Control23

Restoring on same machine or new machine?
If a new machine, is it the same version of the client and server as on the old one?

PREDATAR Control23

Restoring on same machine or new machine?
If a new machine, is it the same version of the client and server as on the old one?

I am trying the restore on the same physical machine, using the same computer name, same user account, etc. The only thing that is different from before is that I do not have access to version 8.1.6 of the server software, so I'm running version 8.1.5 currently. The only copy we had of the 8.1.6 server software was lost when our previous server was a victim of a cyberattack. We are not currently paying for maintenance, so I am not able to get into the Passport Advantage site and download 8.1.6 again... *sigh*

PREDATAR Control23

You won't be able to restore a 8.1.6 backup onto a 8.1.5 server. Need to restore onto the same version.

PREDATAR Control23

You won't be able to restore a 8.1.6 backup onto a 8.1.5 server. Need to restore onto the same version.

Is there anywhere else I can download the 8.1.6 version? If I can perform the restore, it had a backup of the 8.1.6 but of course that doesn't help us now...

PREDATAR Control23

Will that work though, if the backup was done with 8.1.6.0?

Nope, still didn't work after installing the version 8.1.6.1 that you sent me. Still getting the same error. In the db2diag.log file, it shows this, which of course is the same error:

SQL2033N An error occurred while accessing TSM during the processing of a database utility. TSM reason code: "168".

PREDATAR Control23

Nope, still didn't work after installing the version 8.1.6.1 that you sent me. Still getting the same error. In the db2diag.log file, it shows this, which of course is the same error:

SQL2033N An error occurred while accessing TSM during the processing of a database utility. TSM reason code: "168".

In addition, now if I try to connect to the database using the DB2 command window, I can't even do that... I get the message SQL1013N The database alias name or database name "TSMDB1" could not be found. SQLSTATE=42705