Exclude folder from system state backup

mdfazu1984

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
good morning friends

I'm facing issue with excluding folder. below folder having 6 lac files. so I excluded the folder and update in the opt file. but the same files are taking during system state backup. how to exclude the same folder from system state backup.

EXCLUDE.BACKUP "c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys\*.*"

EXCLUDE.DIR "c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys\*" :)

i dont think the \* on the end is needed actually - this would do it...

EXCLUDE.DIR "c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys"

Systemstate backup is all or nothing, you can't exclude any components out of it. The Spectrum Protect client queries the Microsoft VSS writers and backs up what the VSS writers specify. So Windows is controlling what is included/excluded as part of SystemState, Spectrum Protect just backs up what Windows tells it is part of SystemState.

I tired all the possibilities, But still its getting backup through system state. As I saw modified date for those files except one rest all more than year.. Why daily incr backup taking all files. no clue.. any suggestion to fix this issue.

I tired all the possibilities, But still its getting backup through system state. As I saw modified date for those files except one rest all more than year.. Why daily incr backup taking all files. no clue.. any suggestion to fix this issue.
Read my response above yours.

but files modified date is not getting change.. why TSM taking this backup if we have successful backup for that file. next schedule it should not take right... as per incremental

Yes and no. First what are describing is partly valid for a filesystem backup, I say partly because the last modified date is only one of several things evaluated to determine if a file changed, but that's a different topic, we are talking systemstate.

For a systemstate backup, Spectrum Protect queries the VSS writers and backups what the VSS writers tells it to backup. It does it somewhat incrementally for files belonging to the SYSTEM writer, but for the other writers, Spectrum Protect backs up all the files specified by the VSS writers.

From a Windows Command Prompt, issue: diskshadow /l diskshadow.out . From the DISKSHADOW> prompt, issue:
list writers metadata exit

Open diskshadow.out with a text editor, and that's the list of files that Windows tells Spectrum Protect to backup. I have never found any information on the Microsoft website to override that list, you might have to open a ticket with Microsoft for that.

Back