backup that never expire

seekerTSM

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

hi,

i have a questions about the backup.
they want to backup E:\ORA_DATA\AGRT\, so i use the command Inc sel –absolute –quiet –subdir=yes E:\ORA_DATA\AGRT\* to backup the files, it was almost 64GB.

1.my questions is, isthere a way to make those backup permanent? it will not expire with the retention of 30 days? is there a command or anything i can do to make it permanent so that whenever they need it, we have it even after many months or years?

2. i backup E:\ORA_DATA\AGRT\ those last november 7, 2019. but when i check on restore to i cant find november 7 and seems to be empty?

i just use the command

restore E:\ORA_DATA\AGRT\ –subdir=yes -inactive -pick
restore E:\ORA_DATA\AGRT\* -pick
1574849198634.png

Attachments

• 1574848843459.png
    1574848843459.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 1574848864455.png
    1574848864455.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 1574849100467.png
    1574849100467.png
    51.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 1574849311906.png
    1574849311906.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 1
PREDATAR Control23

additional details/question.

our backup is backup from disk first then to tape.

is it possible to backup it directly to tape or what?

PREDATAR Control23

1.my questions is, isthere a way to make those backup permanent? it will not expire with the retention of 30 days? is there a command or anything i can do to make it permanent so that whenever they need it, we have it even after many months or years?

Yes. The process is called Archive.
On the TSM Server, in the management class there are two copy groups - backup and archive.
Archive are for long term storage, from a few days to several years.
In the archive copy group need to set how long to keep the archive.
Here is a link with some more information about archive/retrieve
Archive and retrieve data with backup-archive clients

You can set up a mgmtclass and a backupcopygroup with the retention with what you want.
The danger is rebinding.
With archive, there are no rebinding.

i backup E:\ORA_DATA\AGRT\ those last november 7, 2019. but when i check on restore to i cant find november 7 and seems to be empty?

- On the TSM Server.
What are the setting for the following in the backup group, VERExists, VERDeleted, RETExtra, RETOnly?
In the actlog, for the time frame of the schedule backup for the node in question, were there any errors?

- On the TSM Client.
In the dsmsched.log and/or dsmerror.log, were there any error around the time of the backup.
That is if the information in the logs go back that far.
The client logs will confirm if the schedule backup ran on that day.

is it possible to backup it directly to tape or what?

Yes.

And, the long answer.
1. If you want ALL or few client backup to go directly to tape.
In the backup copy group, update the copy destination to point to the tape library.
NOTE: If there are not enough tape drives, backup will take much longer to complete.
Clients backup may fail due to preemption.

Preemption - The server can preempt server or client operations for a higher priority operation when a mount point is in use and no others are available, or access to a specific volume is required. When an operation is preempted, it is canceled.

2. If you only want just a select files to go directly to tape.
- Have a management class , and a backup copy group with the copy destination pointing to the tape library. In the dsm.opt (Windows) or the dsm.sys (Unix) have an include with the mgmtclass name. The TSM Client will tell the TSM Server that the file(s) are to be bound to the specified mgmtclass rather than the default mgmtclass.

Management classes and copy groups

3. Another solution is LAN-Free backup.
Here is a link regarding more information. There are lots of information on the internet regarding LAN-Free backup with TSM/Spectrium
Note: If there are not enough tape drives in the library, there is a good chance that the backup process will be preempted by a higher process. Basicly, the backup will fail due to not enough mount points available.

LAN-free and Server-free backup to disk with IBM Spectrum Protect and IBM Spectrum Scale

Good Luck,
Sias

PREDATAR Control23

thanks for the reply, about the archive first.

1 .if i use this command, archive E:\ORA_DATA\AGRT\* my understanding is all the files including subfolder and files, i mean all will be archive right?
archive E:\ORA_DATA\AGRT\ –subdir=yes
archive E:\ORA_DATA\AGRT\*

are those 2 command with subdir and without subdir make a difference?

2. if i archive this, the command to retrieve it will be retrieve E:\ORA_DATA\AGRT\* right?
3. and if i do the archive, and never edit or do anything, how long will the archive last?
4. can i do many archive? is there a limit of GB/TB? and where it consume space? on my disk? will that be ok?

PREDATAR Control23

archive E:\ORA_DATA\AGRT\ –subdir=yes
archive E:\ORA_DATA\AGRT\*

are those 2 command with subdir and without subdir make a difference?

Yes. Like a backup. Keep in mind that an archive is just a long term backup.

2. if i archive this, the command to retrieve it will be retrieve E:\ORA_DATA\AGRT\* right?

Correct.

3. and if i do the archive, and never edit or do anything, how long will the archive last?

Depends on the RETVer setting in the archive copy group.
The value is in days. The default is 365.

NOTE: If an archive is perform with the RETV 365 and we reduce the value to 14.
The new archive will take on the new setting of 14.
The old archive will still have the original setting of 365.
No rebinding with archives. Only backup rebinds.

4. can i do many archive? is there a limit of GB/TB? and where it consume space? on my disk? will that be ok?

There are no limit on how many archive that can be done.
As for space, that depend on the DESTination setting on the archive copy group, is the data going to the disk pool or the tape pool?
If there are plenty of disk space. The archive can be in the diskpool. The retrieve will be faster if the data are in the disk pool.
If we are limited on disk space, the archive data need to be in the tape pool.
If we are going to be keeping the data for years. Keep in mind that tape technology over time will change. When the tape library and drives are upgraded, the archive data need to be moved on to the new media.

Good Luck,
Sias

PREDATAR Control23

The new archive will take on the new setting of 14.
The old archive will still have the original setting of 365.
No rebinding with archives. Only backup rebinds.

That's not entirely accurate. Every time that expiration runs, it looks at the archive date and compares it to the retver setting of the management class at that moment. Same as with a backup.

Rebinding doesn't happen following a retention change, but after specifying a new management class for backups, and you are right that rebinding doesn't happen with archives.

If you switch to a different management class, your statement is true, if you modify the existing management class, it's not.

PREDATAR Control23

hi,

thanks all folks for your reply, always appreciate it. thank you.

how can i check my archive value? how to check if how long will be my archive backup last?
how to check RETVer so that i know how long my archive will last.
and if i have too many archive for example. is there a list to check all my archive and delete some if ever as well?

PREDATAR Control23

From the server:
HELP QUERY COPYGROUP

From the client:
dsmc help query mgmtclass

PREDATAR Control23

no output in those command.

1574939608020.png

i am also confuse in TSM commands specialy this kind

archive /software/mksysb/
archive /software/mksysb/* subdir

do i need to always include * and subdir? if i dont include * or subdir, will it make a difference?

in data protector, if you select /software/mksysb/ all files and subfolder will be backup, here in TSM, do i need to use * and what will happen if i dont use *?

PREDATAR Control23

no output in those command.
typo, copygroup is one word. Sorry.

do i need to always include * and subdir? if i dont include * or subdir, will it make a difference?

in data protector, if you select /software/mksysb/ all files and subfolder will be backup, here in TSM, do i need to use * and what will happen if i dont use *?
1574939971611.png

PREDATAR Control23

hi,

i was hoping for a word or statement saying the duration of the archive backup.

about the /* and no asterisk or subdir command. is there any differ?

archive /software/mksysb/*

so the correct command is archive /software/mksysb/* ?

PREDATAR Control23

but if i dont make any changes, i just use this command archive /software/mksysb/* . will it still be archive? my only problem now is how long is the retention of the archive?

PREDATAR Control23

but if i dont make any changes, i just use this command archive /software/mksysb/*
The archive examples I gave you in the link have some that do exactly what you want to do. Did you check it?

my only problem now is how long is the retention of the archive?
Did you check https://adsm.org/forum/index.php?threads/backup-that-never-expire.32966/post-136909

You have to use the QUERY COPYGROUP command, use the help to look at the archive retention for the default management class for the domain your node belongs to.

Or on the client, you can use the query mgmtclass, it's a bit simpler on the client because you only get the management classes that are available to that node.

PREDATAR Control23

hi,

yes, i checked it.

found it on the client side! thank you for your help! 365 days is almost 1 year!

1574942806953.png

thank you

PREDATAR Control23

That's the grace archive period. That's what takes effect if there's no archive copy group. Use the detail option to get the retention for the 2 management classes listed.

PREDATAR Control23

yes, but there is no available. i am really looking for that and found nothing.

PREDATAR Control23

this is my first time going this TSM. so noob not allowed here? seeking for proper training as well.