If TSM DB size is full

shamim

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
What will happen if TSM database size is full.

how possible to reduce database size.

What version of TSM are you running? Is Expiration running?

TSM versions 6 and later have auto DB reorganized capability UNLESS you have updated the TSM from older versions.

You can query the DB and see if reorganiztion runs: q db f=d and look fot the line - Last Database Reorganization:

If the date is very recent, then reorganization is running.

If the date is very old and this does not change day-after-day, then you can run manually reorganization:

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowled....ibm.itsm.perf.doc/t_srv_db_tblidx_reorg.html

Note that if reorganization is running (and also make sure expiration is running), and the DB is still FULL, you may need to add space. The gets FULL because of other reasons like many nodes, long retention, archive, etc.

I'm using 7.1.6, Reorganization and expiration are running. there is any way to reduce size?

I'm using 7.1.6, Reorganization and expiration are running. there is any way to reduce size?

As I mentioned, the DB size grows as you keep data (retention period and number of versions) longer. The more nodes you backup, the bigger will your DB grow.

Take a look at these and if these are really set correctly based on Business and DR needs, all you can do is add DB space.

Ive just had a similar problem. I used an IBM Tool a perl script called analyze_DB2_formulas.pl. It calculates free space in tables and outputs to file giving you Table and Size saving. I ran one at a time o n tables and reduced DB Size. See https://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21683633#calc_space . SO run scripts as TSM Instance user on commandline it will create directory and summary.out showing tables. Then Enable online reorg to those tables (commands there) and run commands in SUMMARY.OUT the alter ones one at a time in TSM (quiet time better) and commands there to check progress I reduced DB by about 5%. There are other savings too doing offline but that requires TSM Down. This doesnt reduce to allocated DB space but the used it does.

Back