LTO6 tape cartridge ribbon damaged and joined after cutting 1 meter ribbon. Can we restore data

ahleia

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
One of the LTO6 cartridge stuck inside the drive and cut the ribbon. After removing wrinkled portion and joined. Tape checked in to the library and added in the backup pool. When restore, the message is waiting for the media during mounting tape. Any solution to fix this issue will be highly appreciated.

Not sure honestly, but I would guess that is not possible.

I would think there is magic numbers in the start of a LTO cartridge as is the case with different file types? <-- If that is true, then it could explain the "waiting for media" message.

Do you not have a copy-pool you could restore the volume from?

Not sure honestly, but I would guess that is not possible.

I would think there is magic numbers in the start of a LTO cartridge as is the case with different file types? <-- If that is true, then it could explain the "waiting for media" message.

Do you not have a copy-pool you could restore the volume from?

Thanks for your reply and advise. I don't have a copy pool. Is there any other method to restore the volume to a different media? Please advise.

Only thing I can think of is move data to try and get if off the tape, but that will probably not work if you are missing 1 meter of the tape.

Perhaps you could do q vol <tape> F=D and paste the outputs?

Check out this doc from IBM also, maybe it helps: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21687785

I see also IBM has noted in that document "Using a bad tape can damage the tape drive.", you might want to open a PMR and get some suggestions from IBM before doing anything is not R/O operations.

Only thing I can think of is move data to try and get if off the tape, but that will probably not work if you are missing 1 meter of the tape.

Perhaps you could do q vol <tape> F=D and paste the outputs?

Check out this doc from IBM also, maybe it helps: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21687785

I see also IBM has noted in that document "Using a bad tape can damage the tape drive.", you might want to open a PMR and get some suggestions from IBM before doing anything is not R/O operations.

Thanks for for your reply. Please find below the q volume output

tsm: TSMSERVER>q vol 379aaul6 f=d
Session established with server TSMSERVER: Windows
Server Version 7, Release 1, Level 1.100
Server date/time: 07/27/2018 13:19:16 Last access: 07/26/2018 17:50:56

Volume Name: 379AAUL6
Storage Pool Name: BACKUP-TAPE
Device Class Name: LTOCLASS6
Estimated Capacity: 2.9 T
Scaled Capacity Applied:
Pct Util: 75.5
Volume Status: Full
Access: Read-Only
Pct. Reclaimable Space: 29.3
Scratch Volume?: Yes
In Error State?: No
Number of Writable Sides: 1
Number of Times Mounted: 719
Write Pass Number: 1
Approx. Date Last Written: 10/20/2016 08:10:54
Approx. Date Last Read: 07/19/2018 16:15:27
Date Became Pending:
Number of Write Errors: 0
Number of Read Errors: 2,175
Volume Location:
Volume is MVS Lanfree Capable : No
Last Update by (administrator): ADMIN
Last Update Date/Time: 07/26/2018 17:21:16
Begin Reclaim Period:
End Reclaim Period:
Drive Encryption Key Manager: None
Logical Block Protected: No

Please advise.

That is what I was expecting: a lot of read errors.
I don't think there is much you can do here if you are missing the start of the tape, you could try to move the data - but given the amount of read errors I do not think that would work.

Have you contacted IBM?

Back