New Tapes are marked with Write Errors

Hiten

Unregistered / Unconfirmed
Reaction score
Hi,
I am facing issue with TSM version 6.3.4 and Dell TL4000 LTO6 library as new medias after writing 10% or 50% are getting marked with write error and showing as BAD tape in library console. We logged case with Dell vendor but after checking all logs support team found no issue with hardware and also confirmed tape library and drive firmware is latest. But Write errors still reporting.

Server OS: Windows 2k12
Tape library: Dell TL4000 SAS
TSM version : 6.3.4
Tape Driver version: 6.2.5.8

Kindly guide on same.

is the errors reporting periodically or continuously, what is the event viewer logs showing while error reported on TSM server?
Paste write error logs from TSM server actlog, i mean return code and log.

We are getting below errors when we checked Activity logs in TSM. Also observed no logs such reported in TSM server event logs.

ANR8311E An I/O error occurred while accessing drive for OFFL operation, errno = 3, rc =1
ANR8311E An I/O error occurred while accessing drive for QUERYAPPENDONLY operation errno = 3, rc = 1

We are getting below errors when we checked Activity logs in TSM. Also observed no logs such reported in TSM server event logs.

ANR8311E An I/O error occurred while accessing drive for OFFL operation, errno = 3, rc =1
ANR8311E An I/O error occurred while accessing drive for QUERYAPPENDONLY operation errno = 3, rc = 1
Check the last error time and open event viewer -> application logs and search for error logs from event viewer application logs at the time of error on TSM server, it will give you a reason code of the error so that you can identify whether its a TSM server/ device driver / windows error or external error.

the "errno = 3" is a Windows error that means:-ERROR_PATH_NOT_FOUND 3 (0x3)
The system cannot find the path specified

check at the time of the error on tsm is there any activity running on windows server that makes to invisble tape drives to tsm.

Found techdoc saying may be a gpupdate causing the issue? http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg22009960 was observed on 7.1.6 but could affect other versions.
Other than that, the library directly attached or you run though a fabric? Any logs in your fabric like the port going down?
You mentioned library and drive FW up to date, what about your HBA drivers?

HA! Knew it looked familiar, seen it floating about somewhere. :)

Hi,

Thanks for the support. We were updated the Tape Device Drivers downloaded from IBM site and observed backup is running now. But have kept issue under observation. I checked and tried to find the event log in Application logs and security logs in windows but could not find anything.

IBMTape.x64_w12_6266

Back