Moving TSM Server To New Hardware and OS

jayp2200

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Our company has recently purchased a new HP server and new disk storage for it so I would like to know the best method and steps needed for moving/migrating our current TSM server setup to it.

Our current system is an IBM x3650 M3 which is running Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard and TSM version 7.1.6.0. The new HP server will be running Windows Server 2012 R2 but will keep the same TSM 7.1.6.0 version. The existing IBM TS3310 tape library will need to be moved to the new server as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Simple answer:

Build the new TSM server on Windows 2012
Install TSM 7.1.6.0 and configure exactly as you have on the current TSM server - tape library, diskpool, etc.
Backup the TSM DB from the old TSM server
Move the Library connections from the old to the new TSM server
Shutdown the TSM server
Restore the DB to the New TSM server.
Start the new TSM server

OK, I was hoping it would be that simple. Thanks for the help!

Can I just chuck an additional question on here, save starting a new thread - we're about to do a very similar thing. Can you confirm that we need to create a TSM instance on the new server and then overwrite it with the restore please?
I.e. its not enough just to install TSM, we must run dsmicfgx and create a new instance first? And we don't need to drop the new instance we created - we can just 'overwrite' it with the database restore?

Can I just chuck an additional question on here, save starting a new thread - we're about to do a very similar thing. Can you confirm that we need to create a TSM instance on the new server and then overwrite it with the restore please?
I.e. its not enough just to install TSM, we must run dsmicfgx and create a new instance first? And we don't need to drop the new instance we created - we can just 'overwrite' it with the database restore?

Yes, good question! In addition, I'm wondering if we need to copy the existing data over to the new server as well before or after the db is restored?

Yes, good question! In addition, I'm wondering if we need to copy the existing data over to the new server as well before or after the db is restored?

No need - create the new instance with the same name as the old one - with same settings - and when you do a restore, all of the so called 'data' will show up.

This procedure is similar to a DR scenario except you don't make all of the tapes read only. The server BIOS name and IP address does not have to be the same. However, the instance name - the TSM server name - must be the same as the old one and that ALL nodes must be accessing the TSM via a DNS name and NOT by IP address.

Has anyone tried this by just installing the instance and moving all the db, instance, log ,volumes, drives etc to the new server? I'm trying to reduce the downtime required and that would save me a couple of hours.

Has anyone tried this by just installing the instance and moving all the db, instance, log ,volumes, drives etc to the new server? I'm trying to reduce the downtime required and that would save me a couple of hours.

Will NOT work - a DB restore from the old to the new is the way to go.

Will NOT work - a DB restore from the old to the new is the way to go.

You are going from Windows to HP OS (big endian / little endian), you won't be able to just do a restore db you will have to do and export/import. This can be accomplished via tape media (tape/vtl/device class file) or the perferred method, server to server. You do know that TSM 7.1.x is out of support next year, and we do not support HP in version 8.1 and above. You might want to rethink the movement of your TSM server. If you go through with it, ensure you keep track of the order in which the tapes are created you will have to reverse the order during the import if you don't go server to server.

Ron Delaware
IBM Systems Lab Service
925-475-5315

You are going from Windows to HP OS (big endian / little endian), you won't be able to just do a restore db you will have to do and export/import. This can be accomplished via tape media (tape/vtl/device class file) or the perferred method, server to server. You do know that TSM 7.1.x is out of support next year, and we do not support HP in version 8.1 and above. You might want to rethink the movement of your TSM server. If you go through with it, ensure you keep track of the order in which the tapes are created you will have to reverse the order during the import if you don't go server to server.

Ron Delaware
IBM Systems Lab Service
925-475-5315

I think you are off queue: there was no mention of HP OS in the post - just HP server, and I quote:

Our company has recently purchased a new HP server and new disk storage for it so I would like to know the best method and steps needed for moving/migrating our current TSM server setup to it.

The target is also Windows 2012 R2 on the HP server for which should also be running CISC Intel processors and not Alpha or Itanium processors. I further quote:

The new HP server will be running Windows Server 2012 R2 but will keep the same TSM 7.1.6.0 version.

His issue is:

"Can the data from the DB volumes and log be just copied over and the system started"

This will not work

I think you are off queue: there was no mention of HP OS in the post - just HP server, and I quote:

The target is also Windows 2012 R2 on the HP server for which should also be running CISC Intel processors and not Alpha or Itanium processors. I further quote:

His issue is:

"Can the data from the DB volumes and log be just copied over and the system started"

This will not work
See what happens when you make assumptions and made an assumption

Back