TDP For VMware changing retension

balaji419

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Currently we are using TSM for V.E 6.4 to backup our VM's and we maintain an retention of nolimit,nolimit,28,28. We have configured VM forever incremental backups based on VM folder created from vcenter. Right now we have 6 VM folder and 6 datamovers created for each VM folder and now client wants to reduce the retention's of some VM's to 3 days(nolimit,nolimit,3,3). We suggested to create an vm folder and put all the VM's for which retension needed to be changed in that folder .For that new VMfolder we have created an new datamover in existing Vstorage backup server end. My doubt is Is it possible to attach the existing VM's to an new management class or Do i need to take new full backups of VM using newly created datamover and then only the backups will be assigned to those management class.?. This is the first time I am doing this. I know there is an option include.vm in option file end. But we didnt go fot this options since it wont change the vmctl pool retention's. we want both to be changed and applied with new retention's. Is there any other way to do this. Kindly advice

PREDATAR Control23

Rajesh thanks for your reply. If I associate the VM backup management class to a new management class with reduced retention using include.vm mgmtclass-name, what will happen to VMCTL data, will it get associated to new VMCTL Management class(which has reduced retention) , because we have two different management class for VM data and VMCTL data because VM backup goes to filepool and VMCTL data goes to DISK pool. Right now we have created an datamover and in the options file of that data mover we have given the new VM management class and VM control pool management class in parameter vmmc and vmctlmc. Even then if we run backups , we could see the VM's not getting associated to the new management class. Kindly suggest me an best possible way of doing this or is there any thing wrong in the procedure that we followed,

PREDATAR Control23

what will happen to VMCTL data

Restriction
The management class that is specified by the vmctlmc option determines only the destination storage pool for VMware control files. Retention of VMware control files is determined by the vmmc option, if specified, or by the default management class. The retention for the VMware control files always matches the retention of the VMware data files.
source: https://www.ibm.com/support/knowled...ibm.itsm.ve.doc/c_ve_bup_mgmtclscenarios.html

PREDATAR Control23

Marclant much thanks for your clarifications I am clear about this. Still one thing not clear, if i change the retention from 28 days to 3 days, and then if i trigger backups. Will all versions remaining to last 3 version will be removed immediately. I am asking this because now even after associating the backups to new management class using include.vm command , I could see the old version still existing(old mgmt class-28 days, new mgmt class-3 days). kindly advice

PREDATAR Control23

check this, did you see your new management class listed here?
select distinct(class_name) from backups where node_name='NODE_NAME'
Then check this did you see include.vm mentioned vm's mentioned twice in your output
select distinct node_name,filespace_name,class_name from backups where node_name='NODE_NAME'

PREDATAR Control23

check this, did you see your new management class listed here?
select distinct(class_name) from backups where node_name='NODE_NAME'
Then check this did you see include.vm mentioned vm's mentioned twice in your output
select distinct node_name,filespace_name,class_name from backups where node_name='NODE_NAME'

Thanks Rajesh for your reply, Sorry for delay I was not active. Yes now the management class is applying correctly for the TDP backups.