NetApp and DR

Rigido

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Thank to tips that Harry gave me I set up a "filer to server" NetApp backup (nodes, datamovers and native storage pools).
I set up the web-client too and customer was able to "see" NetApp tree and restore files...ok.
Now I have to move to the next step: Disaster Recovery.
Customer has two sites, each site with a DataDomain 640 and they're going to replicate pools between DataDomain.
I already did such DR configuration with TSM and DD (TSM DR instance and DR VTL on DataDomain to import replicated pools) but I was wondering IF and HOW is possible to restore NetApp backupped data...without a NetApp.

Any hints?!

Ciao.

Thank to tips that Harry gave me I set up a "filer to server" NetApp backup (nodes, datamovers and native storage pools).
I set up the web-client too and customer was able to "see" NetApp tree and restore files...ok.
Now I have to move to the next step: Disaster Recovery.
Customer has two sites, each site with a DataDomain 640 and they're going to replicate pools between DataDomain.
I already did such DR configuration with TSM and DD (TSM DR instance and DR VTL on DataDomain to import replicated pools) but I was wondering IF and HOW is possible to restore NetApp backupped data...without a NetApp.

Any hints?!

Ciao.

The question to ask is 'where to restore?' Where do you plan to restore the data without another Netapp?

Last edited:
The question to ask is 'where to restore?' Wheree to you plan to restore the data without another Netapp?
I'm not talking about a full NetApp restore, just some high-impact volumes.
The problem (Yes, I got it :D) is that data sent from a platform (NDMP) can be restored with the same platform.
I'm googling around and reading about some Solaris (looks like NDMP is similar to Sun ufsdump) and NetApp NDMP simulator solutions...but I agree that customer need a filer :)

Hi,

just 2cents :)
1) Yes, you need the filer - I do not think TSM will talk to anything else (as the datamover type is "NetappDump")
2) although NetApp simulators work for restore they are very slow and limited in size (it used to be 2G in 7.x, can be more in 8.x)

Harry

Back