Good bye TSM!

JeanSeb

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Well it's over folks, IBM finally kicked itself out of our shop because of their insane licensing models.
It's been fun and all, but we can't justify big blue's pricing anymore.

You will never catch me say it's a bad product. After 5 years working with it, I can say without a doubt it's solid and the best backup product by far. But somehow, EMC managed to give us a better price for disk based backups, the advantages of dedup, vmware snapshots etc. without the PVU counting madness...

I hope you get real IBM, because in the end the number on the bottom of the bill usually wins :(

Last edited:
PREDATAR Control23

I know what you mean. I have a least a half dozen customers that are NOT going to RENEW their TSM License. In some cases it makes sense but in others, there is just too much cost. It is insane and pretty soon, my job may go away as there will be no new customers to do installs for and old customers going to backup exec or whatever. The bottom line is it. There used to be 4 guys assisting me with TSM, and now it is down to me. I picked up all the installs and support for our customers as the others left to do other things. Every year there are a couple less to support.

PREDATAR Control23

I know what you mean. I have a least a half dozen customers that are NOT going to RENEW their TSM License. In some cases it makes sense but in others, there is just too much cost. It is insane and pretty soon, my job may go away as there will be no new customers to do installs for and old customers going to backup exec or whatever. The bottom line is it. There used to be 4 guys assisting me with TSM, and now it is down to me. I picked up all the installs and support for our customers as the others left to do other things. Every year there are a couple less to support.

Well, TSM will move into the "legacy" space and consultants who work with it can make good bucks! Of course, new setups will suffer, but, ongoing maintenance and break fix will be needed for the foreseeable future.. At least I hope so!

PREDATAR Control23

I know IBM does have a Unified Recovery package (you get all the TSM/TDP products at no charge and are charged only on a storage capacity basis). Not sure how much it is but a lot of enterprise players use this model instead of the subcapacity