Ds4800?

capslock

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
We are considering possibly moving to the DS4800. I am getting some pressure about the 2Gbps SAN (DS4500) being dated. We have always stayed a little behind the curve because of the cost of cutting edge speed.
I am just curious how many of you out there are still on 2Gbps fabric as well.......

Last edited:
As a follow up to this post, we actually decided to stay on the DS4500 and will be upgrading to the DS4800 this year. If anyone is already on the DS4800 and would like to share their experience pertaining to the upgrade process please feel free to reply.

I have worked with most of the DS4XXX series of IBM (LSI rebranded really) and moving from one older model to the newer model is pretty straightforward.

So far, I have not been bitten nor had issues.

If you are using SVC, then the upgrade will really take just a point and a click - of course, the pre-work has to be done right!

One approach (assuming you are running AIX/Unix, well maybe later versions of Windows), and this is the most simple one to do (this assumes you are just moving away from the DS4500 on a one-to-one basis):

If you are doing it manually, you can:

1. zone the two togother,
2. size the VOL/LUN correctly on the DS4800 (matching what you have on the DS4500),
3. mirror the data from the DS4500 to the DS4800,
4. remove the DS4500 from the mirror,
5. unzone the DS4500 and
6. you're done! the DS4800 is now active!

I have worked with most of the DS4XXX series of IBM (LSI rebranded really) and moving from one older model to the newer model is pretty straightforward.

So far, I have not been bitten nor had issues.

If you are using SVC, then the upgrade will really take just a point and a click - of course, the pre-work has to be done right!

One approach (assuming you are running AIX/Unix, well maybe later versions of Windows), and this is the most simple one to do (this assumes you are just moving away from the DS4500 on a one-to-one basis):

If you are doing it manually, you can:

1. zone the two togother,
2. size the VOL/LUN correctly on the DS4800 (matching what you have on the DS4500),
3. mirror the data from the DS4500 to the DS4800,
4. remove the DS4500 from the mirror,
5. unzone the DS4500 and
6. you're done! the DS4800 is now active!

Thanks for the response ED. My environment is a mix of Linux/Windows. The SAN holds serveral host databases and the primary pools for TSM. I have also done migrations all the way back to the FAStT series and had a good experience with them. I am doing it manually and that is the exact approach I was going to take.

Back