File backup full + incremental, how ??

Merkaba

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hello!

Please advice.

I want to backup my files with scheme: first day - full backup, next six days - incremental; then again - full backup, next six days - incremental.

How to achieve this?

Selective as I understand is not a good solution.

I don't know how to get full backup in a middle of series.

Thanks.

Hello!

Please advice.

I want to backup my files with scheme: first day - full backup, next six days - incremental; then again - full backup, next six days - incremental.

How to achieve this?

Selective as I understand is not a good solution.

I don't know how to get full backup in a middle of series.

Thanks.

If this is what you want to do, then TSM is NOT the backup solution for you. Refer to Domino's links to understand that what you want to do is not akin to TSM's way.

Last edited:
Thanks for response.
I am satisfied with TSM ways and its progressive incremental backup.
Seems you didn't understand my problem exactly, or my description was not quite right.
If file doesn't change for a long time and only one copy is stored on TSM storage,this is not reliably.
I want to exclude such cases and sometimes to take all files, not only changed.
I know only one solution: changing mode(modified&absolute) in copygroup.
Its complicated, I thought there are another ways.

What do mean by "If file doesn't change for a long time and only one copy is stored on TSM storage,this is not reliably."?

This has always been the case and works well. If you are worried that the file remains stagnant on one location for a long time since it has not changed, then you have not desgned the system well. TSM has two copies of the file - online tape pool and offline tape pool (DR tapes). Files are moved when reclamation runs both on the online and offsite tape pools, which generally means that it does not stay on one location for its 'life'.

Last edited:
'online tape pool and offline tape pool (DR tapes)'

Did you mean primary and copy pool?

Unfortunately We don't have resources for copy pools, amount of productive data are so huge and always increase. All storage are covered by primary pools.

Unfortunately We don't have resources for copy pools, amount of productive data are so huge and always increase. All storage are covered by primary pools.

This is very unfortunate - if your data center burns down, good-bye data. There is no way that you can recover.

Also, if one tape goes bad, guess what problem do you have.

If I were you, I will create the copy pools quickly. And if management does not see this as BIG issue, try washing your hands from any liability. I would quit over this type of issues anytime.

Last edited:
You would use less tapes creating and maintaining copypools than if you try the dated approach of full and incrementals.

How much data is huge? It would help us put it into perspective. Large sites don't normally have issues finding the resources to protect their data.

Main stream in our environment are Oracle DBs(each around of 40 TB). They are backuped everyday on full backup basis. We considered no need in copy pools. It requires too much resources for duplication.
For offsite purpose we make vault backup to special primary pool and ejecting these tapes.
But recently tasks for file backups have appeared.

Why solution with copy pool is confusing me:
Copy pool stores all data from primary stgpool. Hundreds of clients are backuping data to this primary pool.
And only one client requires to duplicate its data. To be more safety. Performing of fulll backup(all data, not changed) once in two weeks will be good possibility in this case.
Or it is ok to create dedicated primary pool for our client and backup it to dedicated copy pool? Not simple from my view.

Back