Replace my primary storage pool

sammiam

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Again, I plead guilty to being a newbie... I have inherited a somewhat sick TSM.. I have an opportunity to at least correct what I believe is a problem...

Today I have a storage pool "BACKUPPOOL" that is Primary, Device class is DISK capacity is 4G .. From what I've been able to glean,
1) The primary pool should be large enough to hold at least one entire day's backup -- do you concur?
2) I've been reading, and it is suggested that the storage pool should be "raw disk" -- do you concur?
3) I have an opportunity to have a new SAN lun defined as a new primary storage pool, I know how large it would need to be to contain 1 day's worth of backups... how would one go about creating the new storage pool, and eliminating the old storage pool??? If I need a 20GB storage pool, would it be better to have multipls LUNs instead of one 20GB Lun?

Thanks in advance for all your help/suggestiong...

1) The primary pool should be large enough to hold at least one entire day's backup -- do you concur?

Agree and bigger depending on business neeeds and restore SLAs

2) I've been reading, and it is suggested that the storage pool should be "raw disk" -- do you concur?

Personally I don't like raw - I like cooked. Reason, easier to administer

3) I have an opportunity to have a new SAN lun defined as a new primary storage pool, I know how large it would need to be to contain 1 day's worth of backups... how would one go about creating the new storage pool, and eliminating the old storage pool??? If I need a 20GB storage pool, would it be better to have multipls LUNs instead of one 20GB Lun?

If you can create small size LUNS, I suggest going this route.

All you need is add volumes to the current pool via the new disk, move the data to the new volumes (mark the old ones as readonly) and delete the old volumes. This way, you don't need to create a new stgpool and change primary storage pool names for your domain/s.

Last edited:
Sorry, wanted to, but was swamped with other job responsibilities... our TSM is on the mend, however, we've discovered that whomever set it initially was placing duration times on the expire and reclamation processes, and that was causing all of our problems.... trouble is that we've reached the point where tsm cannot complete it's daily maintenance in the time allocated to it, and complete the client backups also... we're looking at making some changes... again, sorry I was unable to get back with you...

Sorry, wanted to, but was swamped with other job responsibilities... our TSM is on the mend, however, we've discovered that whomever set it initially was placing duration times on the expire and reclamation processes, and that was causing all of our problems.... trouble is that we've reached the point where tsm cannot complete it's daily maintenance in the time allocated to it, and complete the client backups also... we're looking at making some changes... again, sorry I was unable to get back with you...

Don't hesitate to call - you have my number.

Back