rename BA client node

unixandtsm

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I want to rename a BA client node name with "rename node " command as there is a conflict because currently both BA client and TDPO client on this physical linux server are same.

I want to rename BA client node_name from linux1.test.com to linux1 as below
Code:
rename node linux1.test.com linux1

what happens to already backed up files with old name for this BA client ?
will they be OK and can be restored in future?
Are there anymore steps to follow ?

Thanks in advance!

If you are rename node from linux1.test.com to linux1, it is recommended that you use the UPDATE NODE command to change the password.
Afterwards issue a "dsmc q se" command and when prompted give the new password, this will store the new password in TSM.PWD

Thank you Domino,

So there won't be any harm to previous backups right ?

and also one more thing,

both BA client and TDPO client on the same linux server and on TSM server when i do q node node_name f=d
both nodes are having same TCP/IP name and TCP/IP address; this is OK as both are on same linux server and so no need to change anything, is this right ?

Last edited:
... both nodes are having same TCP/IP name and TCP/IP address; this is OK as both are on same linux server and so no need to change anything, is this right ?

Yes, thats ok, see example below

Code:
Hostname             Client Version         Ver.       Rel.      Lev.      Fix        Nodename                              TCP_Name               TCPIP_Adress
----------------     ------------------     ------     ------    ------    ------     ------------------------------        -------------------    -----------------
ldeberdb03           2.6.16.60              6          2         2         6          CLINDB03_R_0014_C                     ldeberdb03             192.168.218.203
ldeberdb03           2.6.16.60              6          2         2         6          CLINDB03_R_0040_C                     ldeberdb03             192.168.218.203
ldeberdb03           2.6.16.60              6          2         2         6          CLINDB03_R_0400_C                     ldeberdb03             192.168.218.203
ldeberdb03           2.6.16.60              6          2         2         6          CLINDB03_R_4000_C                     ldeberdb03             192.168.218.203
ldeberdb03           2.6.16.60              6          2         2         6          CSAPHR01_V_0005_C                     ldeberdb03             192.168.218.203
ldeberdb03           2.6.16.60              6          2         2         6          CSAPHR02_V_0005_C                     ldeberdb03             192.168.218.203

Thanks Domino,

I renamed the node from linux1.test.com to linux1 and then update the password for the node.
But when i try to connect to to server from client by "dsmc", it is taking the default userid as old name and if i proceed with that id then i am getting following error

Code:
ANS1353E Session rejected: Unknown or incorrect ID entered

I even tried to use the new name but still getting the same above error.

Code:
$ dsmc
ANS1677W The MAILPROG option is ignored because it is no longer supported.
IBM Tivoli Storage Manager
Command Line Backup/Archive Client Interface
  Client Version 5, Release 5, Level 1.0
  Client date/time: 10/11/2012 13:31:58
(c) Copyright by IBM Corporation and other(s) 1990, 2008. All Rights Reserved.

Node Name: LINUX1.TEST.COM
Please enter your user id <LINUX1.TEST.COM>:[B] LINUX1[/B]

[B]ANS1353E Session rejected: Unknown or incorrect ID entered[/B]

$ dsmc
ANS1677W The MAILPROG option is ignored because it is no longer supported.
IBM Tivoli Storage Manager
Command Line Backup/Archive Client Interface
  Client Version 5, Release 5, Level 1.0
  Client date/time: 10/11/2012 13:32:24
(c) Copyright by IBM Corporation and other(s) 1990, 2008. All Rights Reserved.

Node Name: LINUX1.TEST.COM
Please enter your user id <LINUX1.TEST.COM>:

[B]ANS1353E Session rejected: Unknown or incorrect ID entered[/B]

and on TSM server's actlog
Code:
ANR0422W Session 87261 for node LINUX1.TEST.COM(Linux86) refused - node name not registered. (SESSION:87261)

Please help with this.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi,

seems that in your dsm.sys file on the client there is following line there:
NODENAME linux1.test.com

update the file and start the client again. Do not forget to restart any scheduler/CAD you are running.

Harry

Hi Harry,

I updated the nodename in dsm.sys file in client and then renamed and updated password in TSM server.
Below is the stanza for this BA client in dsm.sys
Code:
SErvername tsm1
SCHEDLOGRETENTION 10 D
EXCLUDE.FILE "/var"
PASSWORDACCESS GENERATE
NODENAME linux1
   COMMmethod         TCPip
   TCPPort            1500
   TCPServeraddress   tsm1.test.com

but there is another stanza for TDPO client also and is as below

Code:
SErvername  tsm1-Oracle
PASSWORDACCESS PROMPT
QUERYSCHEDPERIOD 12
NODENAME linux1.test.com
   COMMmethod         TCPip
   TCPPort            1500
   TCPServeraddress   tsm1.test.com

but TDPO stanza should not have any impact on this right ?

below is the dsm.opt file

Code:
SErvername  tsm1-Oracle
SErvername  tsm1
DOMAIN "/"
DOMAIN "/etc/svc/volatile"
DOMAIN "/var"
DOMAIN "/var/run"
DOMAIN ALL-LOCAL

Does TDPO node need to have it's entry in dsm.opt file ?

Hi,

when you start the TSM client it looks for the dsm.opt, looks for "servername XYZ" stanza and then selects this stanza from the dsm.sys (dsm.opt file does not need to contain anything else than "servername" stanza)
Your dsm.opt is weird as it has two "servername" stanzas. TSM uses the last stanza in this case so it should work.

Can you show us complete content of these files? As the client complains about "ANS1677W The MAILPROG option is ignored because it is no longer supported." and I do not see such option in your files.
So it seems TSM uses other dsm.opt than we are looking at right now. Its location is determined by the DSMI_CONFIG variable ... is it set?

Harry

Back