TSM + Data Domain Pool Replication

BrianV

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
We have two Data Domain's configured as VTL's in two separate locations and are about to implement bi-directional replication. We currently use the Data Domain as the primary storage pool and then backup the storage pools to physical tape (not migration).

Both VTL's only have 1 large tape pool (setup by EMC) and I was told that we need to break up the large pool into multiple smaller pools.

Does anyone else use TSM with Data Domain to replicate data offsite? How is your environment configured?

I would love to read real-life scenarios rather than what EMC states on paper.

Thanks!

We have two Data Domain's configured as VTL's in two separate locations and are about to implement bi-directional replication. We currently use the Data Domain as the primary storage pool and then backup the storage pools to physical tape (not migration).

Both VTL's only have 1 large tape pool (setup by EMC) and I was told that we need to break up the large pool into multiple smaller pools.

Does anyone else use TSM with Data Domain to replicate data offsite? How is your environment configured?

I would love to read real-life scenarios rather than what EMC states on paper.

Thanks!

I use DD and what they say is correct - break it up.

I use DD and what they say is correct - break it up.

Are there any major changes that you made to TSM other than where the database is backed up to? I.E. storage pool configurations, device class, etc.

I read that the TSM DB should be backed up to a FILE devclass.

Are there any major changes that you made to TSM other than where the database is backed up to? I.E. storage pool configurations, device class, etc.

I read that the TSM DB should be backed up to a FILE devclass.

No major changes. The TSM DB, if you truly want replicated environments, should be backed up with devclass=file as you have mentioned. This facilitates DR and, as mentioned, replication.

No major changes. The TSM DB, if you truly want replicated environments, should be backed up with devclass=file as you have mentioned. This facilitates DR and, as mentioned, replication.

Excellent.

What's the maximum capacity and mount limit recommendation for the FILE devclass to backup the the TSM database? Our DB is roughyl 70 GB.

Excellent.

What's the maximum capacity and mount limit recommendation for the FILE devclass to backup the the TSM database? Our DB is roughyl 70 GB.

You can set it in 2 GB increments up to the maximum of the target directory. I have mine at 4 GB and mount limit set to 10. See 'help define devclass' and look for type=file.

Back