TSM Upgrade on AIX with HSM? Please advice!!

khurram

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Guys

I have to do TSM upgrade on an AIX server. Currently following filesets are installed on AIX level

----------------------------------------------
lslpp -l | grep tsm

tivoli.tsm.client.api.32bit

tivoli.tsm.client.ba.32bit.base

tivoli.tsm.client.ba.32bit.common

tivoli.tsm.client.ba.32bit.image

tivoli.tsm.client.ba.32bit.nas

tivoli.tsm.client.ba.32bit.web

tivoli.tsm.client.hsm.jfs2

tivoli.tsm.license.aix5.rte64

tivoli.tsm.license.cert 5.5.0.0 COMMITTED IBM Tivoli Storage Manager

tivoli.tsm.loc.server.ela 5.5.0.0 COMMITTED IBM Tivoli Storage Manager

tivoli.tsm.server.com 5.5.3.0 COMMITTED IBM Tivoli Storage Manager

tivoli.tsm.server.webcon 5.5.3.0 COMMITTED IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Web

tivoli.tsm.server.aix5.rte64

tivoli.tsm.server.com 5.5.3.0 COMMITTED IBM Tivoli Storage Manager

tivoli.tsm.server.admincenter

tivoli.tsm.server.admincenter.help.5500

tivoli.tsm.server.admincenter.help.5500.en

tivoli.tsm.server.aix5.rte64
-----------------------------------------------------------
So it looks like that GFPS or TSM HSM GPFS client is not there ... only TSM HSM JFS2 client is there.

The version of TSM server seems to be at level of 5.5.3.0 while HSM client is at 5.5.1 ( as shown by dsmdf command ).

My questions are as follows:

1. Can i just upgrade TSM server from 5.5.3 to 5.5.6 without doing any upgrade on TSM JFS HSM client ? I looked for compatibility document from IBM about TSM Server/Client and it seems that in most of scenerio they are talking about compatibility between versions mainly ( not between releases).

2.How i can check version of TSM Admin console ? How to upgrade it as i can not find any document saying about ugrade of admin consoles separately?

3. It seems to me that upgrade of TSM server from 5.5.3 to 5.5.6 is just using smitty update_all on AIX... while upgrade of TSM HSM client would be uninstalling client software and then reinstalling new client version...Am i correct in this understanding ? Any processes to be stopped before upgarde ? any guidance from any person who has done this upgrade would be really helpful ? any reference to upgrade procedure would also really help

Many thanks

Regards

1. Can i just upgrade TSM server from 5.5.3 to 5.5.6 without doing any upgrade on TSM JFS HSM client ? I looked for compatibility document from IBM about TSM Server/Client and it seems that in most of scenerio they are talking about compatibility between versions mainly ( not between releases).

Yes - the TSM server is separate from the BA client. You can update to 5.5.6 without updating the BA client version. Normally, TSM clients will work with the TSM server whose version is two levels up or down.

2.How i can check version of TSM Admin console ? How to upgrade it as i can not find any document saying about ugrade of admin consoles separately?

The admin console should follow the TSM server. Update the TSM server.

3. It seems to me that upgrade of TSM server from 5.5.3 to 5.5.6 is just using smitty update_all on AIX... while upgrade of TSM HSM client would be uninstalling client software and then reinstalling new client version...Am i correct in this understanding ? Any processes to be stopped before upgarde ? any guidance from any person who has done this upgrade would be really helpful ? any reference to upgrade procedure would also really help

Update for TSM server is just by applying the new binaries. You are correct on this. For the BA client update it is suggested to remove the old one and install the new one. Updating the BA client updates HSM. You don't need GFS support if you are NOT running GFS on your system.

Last edited:
Hi Moon Buddy,

I always happy when you reply to my questions :)

Just to pint #1 , you said that TSM client works while two level down with TSM server... Are you referring to versions not releases , right? SO it actually mean that there should not be any problem if i keep TSM client version unchanged at 5.5.1 , while upgrade TSM server to 5.5.6? Please clarify?

Many thanks again for your help!

Hi Moon Buddy,

I always happy when you reply to my questions :)

Just to pint #1 , you said that TSM client works while two level down with TSM server... Are you referring to versions not releases , right? SO it actually mean that there should not be any problem if i keep TSM client version unchanged at 5.5.1 , while upgrade TSM server to 5.5.6? Please clarify?

Many thanks again for your help!

Yes, versions.

Back