Client Upgrade from 5.4 to 6.1

tsmadmin04

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
hi,
We are going to upgrade Client from 5.* to 6.* version. The client is AIX client.
Can any one please tell me the process to upgrade the client.
Thanks

Are you familiar with SMIT or SMITTY?

If you are, use the software selection: delete the old 5.4.x client and install the 6.1.x client. The dsm.sys and dircetory structure should be intact BUT the folder will change to ../ba/bin64 from ../ba/bin. Just move the dsm.sys, dsm.opt and other configuration files to ../ba/bin64.

Or, read the procedure from this.

thank you moon-buddy
but without uninstalling previous version is there any chance to upgrade version..
bcz client is completely configured.. if we uninstall client and install a new version.
we have to do everything from intial..
i have knowledge abt smitty..

thank you moon-buddy
but without uninstalling previous version is there any chance to upgrade version..
bcz client is completely configured.. if we uninstall client and install a new version.
we have to do everything from intial..
i have knowledge abt smitty..

The files from 5.4 to 6.1 are totally different. You can use upgrade but I found that it is better to remove old TSM files before installing the newer client.

And, NO, you don't have to start from scratch to reconfigure the BA client. Just use the existing dsm.sys/opt and other configuration files, and set the password. The scheduler will be OK but needs to be tweaked so it points to the right directory: ../ba/bin64 instead or ../ba/bin.

do u have a procedure for directly upgrading a client
if we uninstall and install, doesnt all the files get deleted.
i am new to TSm i dont have much idea..
The files from 5.4 to 6.1 are totally different. You can use upgrade but I found that it is better to remove old TSM files before installing the newer client.

And, NO, you don't have to start from scratch to reconfigure the BA client. Just use the existing dsm.sys/opt and other configuration files, and set the password. The scheduler will be OK but needs to be tweaked so it points to the right directory: ../ba/bin64 instead or ../ba/bin.

do u have a procedure for directly upgrading a client
if we uninstall and install, doesnt all the files get deleted.
i am new to TSm i dont have much idea..

If you are familiar with SMIT or SMITTY, applying a software upgrade is straightforward. Nothing special.

Uninstalling will delete all files that is akin to TSM 5.4 BUT will not destroy the directory structure and will leave the dsm.sys/opt and the configuration files. Installing after that just uses the same directory but with a slight change to ../ba/bin64

Last edited:
Back