VM restore as thin-provisioned disk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spree

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone tried this. I am testing full VM restore, by default, the VMDK will be restored as thick-provisioned. According to an IBM technote (http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21508259) there is a testflag (VMRESTOR_DONT_FORCE_THICK) which can be specified making the VMDK restore as thin-provisioned. But I could not get this working. I am not a VMware expert and not sure if anything gone wrong.

Environment:
vSphere: 5.0 build 623860
TSM server: 6.3.1.0 / Windows 2008 R2
TSM client: 6.3.0.15 / Windows 2008 R2

VMware transport is NBD only.

This parameter (VMRESTOR_DONT_FORCE_THICK) could not be specified in the TSM client options file, so I suppose this is used in VM's settings. The only place that I found for specifying parameters for a VM is "Edit Settings" => "Options" tab => "Advanced" => "General" => "Configuration Parameters". I tried specifying only the parameter name (VMRESTOR_DONT_FORCE_THICK) without a value, as well as adding "true" as the value, but both didn't work. I do this before running a VM backup, but both restored as thick-provisioned disk only.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

This parameter (VMRESTOR_DONT_FORCE_THICK) could not be specified in the TSM client options file

How did you try and specify this in the dsm.opt? I think the correct syntax would be:

TESTFLAG VMRESTOR_DONT_FORCE_THICK

alternatively you could try:

dsmc i -testflag=VMRESTOR_DONT_FORCE_THICK

Thanks, I think I misunderstood the technote. I will try.

It seems it is not valid... but I am already using the latest client (6.3.0.15).

ANS1036S The option 'TESTFLAG' or the value supplied for it is not valid. It was found in options file 'C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient\dsm.opt' at line number: 44
The complete entry: 'TESTFLAG VMRESTOR_DONT_FORCE_THICK'

Perhaps attempt from the command line?

From the command line browse to the ba client directory:

C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient> dsmc backup vm 'myvm' -testflag=VMRESTOR_DONT_FORCE_THICK

Not work either. Same message as above, can't understand why.

The following settings works fine to restore the vm with thin provisioned vmdk´s:

TSM-BAclient: 6.3.0.16
vSphere 5 U1

dsm.opt
VMBACKUPTYPE FULLVM
VMFULLTYPE VSTOR
VMVSTORTRANSPORT HOTADD
VMCHOST xyz.domain.local
VMCUSER xyz
VMCPW ****
testflag VMRESTORE_DONT_FORCE_THICK

Maybe you have to do a new backup to save attribute with information about the disk format.

You forgot an "E" in the parameter 'TESTFLAG VMRESTORE_DONT_FORCE_THICK'
^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back