TSM v 6.3.2 TDP compatibility

Sara

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
We are planning to have new TSM servers V6.3.2 installed in our environment and then have the clients redirected to the new server for backups instead of upgrading the current v5.5 servers, because of the long Database upgrade process. I have a few questions regarding the same and would highly appreciate any help
• Can we export nodes from TSM5.5 to TSM6.3 directly? Is there any special prerequisite? (since V6.x has the new DB2 structure).
• Compatibility with TDP versions on 6.3.2 (SQL, Oracle, Exchange, R3)???
• Database size increase, how much percentage? We are currently assigning 150% more than the original dB size. What is the Maximum allowed DB size for 6.3.2?
• For a TSM server 6.3, if there are 500 Windows 2008 servers, what is the backup performance using incremental backup for Systemstate? Right now TSM 5.5 can’t handle it.

Currently we have p6 servers with AIX 6.1 and 32gb of RAM. We use Data Domain for storage. Each TSM server's approximate current Database size is around 150-200GB.

Thanks.

Hi everyone,
We are planning to have new TSM servers V6.3.2 installed in our environment and then have the clients redirected to the new server for backups instead of upgrading the current v5.5 servers, because of the long Database upgrade process. I have a few questions regarding the same and would highly appreciate any help
• Can we export nodes from TSM5.5 to TSM6.3 directly? Is there any special prerequisite? (since V6.x has the new DB2 structure).

Yes, you can export the server from 5.5.x to 6.3.2 directly

• Compatibility with TDP versions on 6.3.2 (SQL, Oracle, Exchange, R3)???

Check IBM's website for the latest client versions

• Database size increase, how much percentage? We are currently assigning 150% more than the original dB size. What is the Maximum allowed DB size for 6.3.2?

Theoretically, DB2 can handle even up to 2TB but I believe IBM will say they has tested up to 1 TB

• For a TSM server 6.3, if there are 500 Windows 2008 servers, what is the backup performance using incremental backup for Systemstate? Right now TSM 5.5 can’t handle it.

Currently we have p6 servers with AIX 6.1 and 32gb of RAM. We use Data Domain for storage. Each TSM server's approximate current Database size is around 150-200GB.

Thanks.

Theoretically, DB2 will be about two to three times faster than the older 'stripped' DB2 version. I have a DB2 DB at 500 GB and it zooms through my DD backup.

Thanks a lot Ed, for the quick response.
I have been looking into the 6.3 AIX Administrators guide but was unable to find the TDP versions compatibility Table/matrix anywhere....

And, practically speaking, how many maximum nodes can be exported in a day?

Has anyone else faced a similar problem with the system state backups of Windows 2008 servers on V5.5? and what is the solution for that?

Thanks,
Sara.

Thanks a lot Ed, for the quick response.
I have been looking into the 6.3 AIX Administrators guide but was unable to find the TDP versions compatibility Table/matrix anywhere....

And, practically speaking, how many maximum nodes can be exported in a day?

Has anyone else faced a similar problem with the system state backups of Windows 2008 servers on V5.5? and what is the solution for that?

Thanks,
Sara.

The number of nodes you can export depends on the speed of your network and how fast the DD system can un-dedup the data (I am assuming you used the DD as primary tape backup of devclass=file). I have seen nodes to be exported at a rate of 10 to 15 a day depending on the amount of data these holds. The network is on a 10 GB link and attached to a DD880/890 system with Linux TSM servers with similar network speeds.

Yes, system state backups on TSM 5.5 with Windows 2008 is a little flaky. When we moved to TSM 6.x on both sides, we get consistent results.

Thanks Moon-Buddy and thanks Domino. I have found this link...

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/...ger+Version+6+Hybrid+Upgrade+Migration+Method

.... for hybrid upgrade method. This is exactly what I am planning to do!

As Domino suggested, by upgrading to the TSM v6.3 we should not be seeing the issue with the system state backup of windows 2008 servers.... I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Any other suggestions on how I go to the V6.3.2, keep it coming.

Thanks a bunch!
Sara.

Back