dsmj core dump on RHEL6 Linux

ohnielse

Newcomer
Reaction score
The dsmj GUI always does a core dump on Red Hat Enterprise Linux version 6 update 2 (RHEL6.2).

The main dsmj window starts up correctly (on a remote X-Windows display). Pressing the "Restore" item brings up a new Restore window which responds extremely slowly.
When pressing the Restore window's "File Level" (text not visible) in the left-hand pane, dsmj does a core dump:
/usr/bin/dsmj: line 144: 19500 Segmentation fault (core dumped) java -DDSM_LANG=$LANG -DDSM_CONFIG=$DSM_CONFIG -DDSM_DIR=$DSM_DIR -DDSM_LOG=$DSM_LOG -DDSM_OPTIONS="$OPTIONS" -DDSM_ROOT=$PWD ${JAVA_XARGS} -jar dsm.jar
The dsmj.log contains:
Exception during event dispatch:
java.lang.NullPointerException
at javax.swing.plaf.metal.MetalUtils.fillMetalPattern2D(libgcj.so.10)
at javax.swing.plaf.metal.MetalUtils.fillMetalPattern(libgcj.so.10)
at javax.swing.plaf.metal.MetalSplitPaneDivider.paint(libgcj.so.10)
at javax.swing.JComponent.paintChildren(libgcj.so.10)
at javax.swing.JSplitPane.paintChildren(libgcj.so.10)
at javax.swing.JComponent.paint(libgcj.so.10)
at javax.swing.JLayeredPane.paint(libgcj.so.10)
at javax.swing.JComponent.paintDoubleBuffered(libgcj.so.10)
at java.awt.Container$GfxPaintVisitor.visit(libgcj.so.10)
at java.awt.Container.visitChild(libgcj.so.10)
at java.awt.Container.visitChildren(libgcj.so.10)
at java.awt.Container.paint(libgcj.so.10)
at javax.swing.JFrame.update(libgcj.so.10)
at gnu.java.awt.peer.gtk.GtkComponentPeer.updateComponent(libgcj.so.10)
at gnu.java.awt.peer.gtk.GtkComponentPeer.handleEvent(libgcj.so.10)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(libgcj.so.10)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(libgcj.so.10)
at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(libgcj.so.10)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(libgcj.so.10)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(libgcj.so.10)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(libgcj.so.10)

Restoring files with the dsmc command line tool works just fine, so it seems to be a Java GUI problem only.
We're running TSM client 6.2.4.1, but it's the same problem with TSM client 6.3.0.5.

Question: Does anyone know how to run dsmj successfully on a RHEL6 TSM client?

Yes, it might be a Java issue. However, this doesn't bring me closer to answering the crucial question: Does anyone know how to run dsmj successfully on a RHEL6 TSM client?

Yes, it might be a Java issue. However, this doesn't bring me closer to answering the crucial question: Does anyone know how to run dsmj successfully on a RHEL6 TSM client?

Sorry - I don't think there is a resolution using the current Java version on RHEL 6.2

This is why I tend to stay away from using later versions of OS and TSM client. Try loading an earlier version of Java and making it the default version to use.

Sorry - I don't think there is a resolution using the current Java version on RHEL 6.2

This is why I tend to stay away from using later versions of OS and TSM client. Try loading an earlier version of Java and making it the default version to use.

The RHEL 6.2 has this Java RPM version: java-1.5.0-gcj-1.5.0.0-29.1.el6.x86_64. That's pretty old, isn't it?

I looked up the RHEL6 packages, and it turns out Red Hat also supplies an RPM with a newer Java version: java-1.6.0-openjdk. When I installed the latest java-1.6.0-openjdk RPM, the problem was solved!

Thanks for the hint,
Ole

Back