TSM training question for a newbie

kongfranon

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
So at my current job, the person who handled TSM just quit and now I am fully responsible for all out backups.

I am trying to convince my manager that I should get direct training from IBM TSM to have a better understanding of even the basics and then take the advanced class.

I have two questions:

1) Has anyone taken their training and how is it? Is it worth the investment? Will I learn a lot? I hate to push for these classes and have them spend the money and come out and still not able to handle our TSM backup.

2) We are currently using TSM 5.5.0 and looking at IBM site I see they have no more classes for that, most is 6.2 or higher. Also we are running TSM on Linux. I would not mind upgrading to 6.2 or 6.3 but I don't feel comfortable doing that yet until I have a better grasp.

I was looking at:

IBM TSM 6.2 Implementation and Administration for Linux
IBM TSM 6.2 Advanced Administration, Tuning, and Troubleshooting (Linux)

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Yes - training with IBM on TSM is an absolute necessity for a new comer.

Redbooks may also help you to understand TSM especially with version 5.5 which you have.

Just bear in mind that TSM 5.5 is very different than 6.x. 6.x uses a full blown DB2 as database while 5.5 and below is a simplied, stripped down DB2 (for lack of better name to call it) database.

I used to be an Instructor for an IBM business partner and you will be better off getting training than trying to learn on your own. Take the 6.2 classes, even though the DB portion is different from 5.5 beyond that, the commands are 90% the same. It's definitely worth the money!

Thanks guys yeah I am really pushing for it but wanted to make sure it the right move.

Just to pile on, its definitely a huge benefit to getting formal training. I took both classes several weeks apart in the beginning and it was HUGELY valuable.

Last edited:
One more question, I noticed they have virtual online classes, which would cut down on travel and expenses and might have better chance of getting eduction approved.

Anyone have any thoughts on virtual vs. physically being there?

I prefer physical since I learn better that way especially if there are labs and what not.

But has anyone taken the virtual how do they compare?

Thanks

One more question, I noticed they have virtual online classes, which would cut down on travel and expenses and might have better chance of getting eduction approved.

Anyone have any thoughts on virtual vs. physically being there?

I prefer physical since I learn better that way especially if there are labs and what not.

But has anyone taken the virtual how do they compare?

Thanks

Take the physical - hands on is essential. Interaction with other folks has a lot of value and is essential to get their viewpoints and experience.

Last edited:
So got some good news!

My mgr got approval for training!!

The funny thing is we just purchased a brand new server becuase we were having tons of issues...and decided to upgrade the environment, and right now I am trying to figure out the best way of installing implementing TSM 6.3

I am getting a better feel for it but nowhere near an expert at all. Boss really wants to know if I should just go for advanced and skip basic. He said most basic classes are dumbed down...I said looking at the agenda it looks pretty detailed to me but really don't know.

Ok got a few more questions since I am installing 6.3 now...are there major differences between 6.2 and 6.3?

I am trying to find the basic course for 6.3 for Linux, but cannot find it, so it either 6.2 for Linux at a physical location

http://www-304.ibm.com/jct03001c/se...?pageType=course_description&courseCode=TSL11

or take 6.3 for linux online only

http://www-304.ibm.com/jct03001c/se...?pageType=course_description&courseCode=8SL11

or this one is 6.3 but it kind of confusing if it for windows or linux..

http://www-304.ibm.com/jct03001c/se...?pageType=course_description&courseCode=TS612

It is manhattan too and would make my boss very happy..no travel expenses.

The lecture material covers all supported Intel and UNIX platforms.

but then it says

You should have:
Windows administration skills.

I will be installing it on a Redhat 6.2 platform so makes sense for me not to take the windows course I would imagine.

Last edited:
Thanks, ok i will definitely take the basic..but out of the 22 courses they have listed...is it better for me to take 6.2 for linux...or take 6.3 for windows, even though not running on a windows platform?

I sort have a dilemma since the 6.3 for Linux is not currently listed at all...and not sure if it better to do 6.2 and get good foundations on my platform and then going to 6.3 should not be major differences where I can pick up quick?

It makes no sense for me to learn on windows platform even though it will be 6.3 correct?

What would you do?

Ok after speaking with my boss, I am going to take the IBM Tivoli Storage Manager 6.3 Implementation and Administration even though it generally for Windows. I am sure the concepts are close enough and I can figure out how to apply it to Linux.

Worst case I will install TSM 6.3 on windows. The timing is perfect since class will be Monday, and I am about to install TSM 6.3 but will hold off until after the class.

Ok after speaking with my boss, I am going to take the IBM Tivoli Storage Manager 6.3 Implementation and Administration even though it generally for Windows. I am sure the concepts are close enough and I can figure out how to apply it to Linux.

Worst case I will install TSM 6.3 on windows. The timing is perfect since class will be Monday, and I am about to install TSM 6.3 but will hold off until after the class.

With the exception of the install procedures, TSM operation will the same regardless of platform. Once upon a time, when IBM offered TSM courses, their install base was only on Windows - hardware is cheap and the masses that install TSM used Windows more often.

With the exception of the install procedures, TSM operation will the same regardless of platform. Once upon a time, when IBM offered TSM courses, their install base was only on Windows - hardware is cheap and the masses that install TSM used Windows more often.

Yeah makes sense, and I already figured out how to install TSM 6.3 on my new redhat 6.2 box, but never got to configuring the rest like storage pools and policies.

Thanks for all the help!

So I finished the first course last week.

I thought the class was great overall, but I felt did not go into enough details with each subject. It felt more like a concept overview and not necessarily a how to. The instructor told me if you are expecting to become an expert after taking this course that will not happen. There is just way too much material to cover in the short period of time.

To be honest I feel very overwhelmed, I have to deploy this new 6.3 for my company and there are just so many settings, I am not sure I will get them right. I do understand the concepts a lot better which is definitely a huge help but there are some things I am just not getting for example how to setup a tape library and all the drives to work with TSM.

So I finished the first course last week.

I thought the class was great overall, but I felt did not go into enough details with each subject. It felt more like a concept overview and not necessarily a how to. The instructor told me if you are expecting to become an expert after taking this course that will not happen. There is just way too much material to cover in the short period of time.

To be honest I feel very overwhelmed, I have to deploy this new 6.3 for my company and there are just so many settings, I am not sure I will get them right. I do understand the concepts a lot better which is definitely a huge help but there are some things I am just not getting for example how to setup a tape library and all the drives to work with TSM.

Take it a step at a time - read Redbooks and if you are stuck - adsm.org is here to help.

During 5 training days (2 hours discussing features of TSM, 26 hours lab exercises, USD 3,000)
you'll learn all details about IBM TSM 6.2, i.e. how to
- install 6.2 server
- administrate interfaces and privileges
- manage storage pools
- backup and archive client functions
- protect databases
- automate TSM operations
- monitor events
It's worth investing.

Back