TSM for VE - vCenter Plugin doesn't work

schnupfy

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
www.koenighome.de
PREDATAR Control23

Hi all,

I have got a slight problem setting up the vCenter Plugin for TSM for VE.
I have followed the Manual (http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tsminfo/v6r3/topic/com.ibm.itsm.ve.doc/t_ve_cfggui.html) and even taken over the naming. My TSM server is W2k8 R2 - TSM 6.2.2.3 and the TSM VE is 6.3 - and we use ESX 5.0.

Now the connection from the vCenter Plugin works fine and I can see all VMs and I can also see old vm backups, but as soon as I want to schedule a new backup, or restore an old one it fails.

The new schedule process fails with the error message, that there is no matching data mover agent available.

The restore just reports an error - nothing more than error in the vCenter plugin and on the TSM server I only see two selects from tsm4ve that queries the schedules - which does not return anything as I don't have schedules yet.

I can backup the VMs fine from the command line/gui, but nothing from the vCenter.

Any hints would be much appreciated ;)

Cheers
Marcus

PREDATAR Control23

Hi,

did you grant proxy authority correctly. I'd the same problem.

Greetings
Sebastian

PREDATAR Control23

Hi Sebastian,

Thanks for the reply.

I hope so. I executed the commands as per documentation:

grant proxynode target=VC1 agent=VC1_DC1,VC1_VCLI1
grant proxynode target=VC1_DC1 agent=VC1_VCLI1,VC1_DC1_DM1

(only difference is that I don't have a VC1_DC2)

Cheers,
Marcus

PREDATAR Control23

Please verify the vmcliprofile (this is my config - please adapt for your environment). Please note that I've two plugins running:

VE_TSM_SERVER_NAME bbackup01 # -s
#VE_TSM_SERVER_PORT 1500 # -p
VE_TSMCLI_NODE_NAME Q4DE3ESY094_VCLI1 # -n
VE_VCENTER_NODE_NAME BVCENTER # -v
#VE_TRACE_FILE tsmcli.trace # -x tsmcli trace file
#VE_TRACE_FLAGS api api_detail # -y trace flags
VE_DATACENTER_NAME Berlin:: DC_BERLIN

(there is no space between :: an DC_BERLIN, but this prevents from displaying a "very happy smiley").

These are my proxy authorities (this is definately to much - but it works):
ta=DC_BERLIN
ag=Q4DE3ESY103_DM4 Q4DE3ESY103_DM5 Q4DE3ESY094_DM1 Q4DE3ESY094_DM2 Q4DE3ESY103_DM3 Q4DE3ESY103_VCLI1 Q4DE3ESY094_VCLI1

ta=BVCENTER
ag=Q4DE3ESY103_DM4 Q4DE3ESY103_DM5 Q4DE3ESY094_DM1 Q4DE3ESY094_DM2 DC_BERLIN Q4DE3ESY103_DM3 Q4DE3ESY103_VCLI1 Q4DE3ESY094_VCLI1

Last edited:
PREDATAR Control23

Thanks again for the quick reply.

Could you list your proxy authority with a header (i.e. what is the target and what the agent in your config)?

Thanks.
Marcus

PREDATAR Control23

I've edited my post. Please have a look at the vmcliprofile and check that all needed line are not commented.

PREDATAR Control23

What the vCenter plugin was doing for me was not picking the data mover at the point where I was creating a schedule.

So instead of 'dsmc -asnodename=dm1 backup vm.......' it just did 'dsmc -asnodename=!ERROR backup vm......'. You can edit the schedules if that's your issue and they work fine.

PREDATAR Control23

Thanks again for the replies.

I have now granted pretty much every node that is involved access to every other and it still comes back with the message that there is no matching datamover when I try to create a schedule.
Tough I have noticed on the datamover node, that ipv6 is enabled and if I do a ping onto the TSM server address it resolves it as ipv6 not ipv4. Could be related...
Will try to get that set to ipv4 and check again.

Cheers,
Marcus

PREDATAR Control23

is the data mover drop down menu empty?, or are you able to submit the job?

PREDATAR Control23

is the data mover drop down menu empty?, or are you able to submit the job?

We have this problem. When submitting a job via the vcenter plugin, the data mover drop down is empty. We are stumped! Did you have the same problem?

PREDATAR Control23

I ran into that as well before I had the =!ERROR issue.

If you have an empty field on the DM drop down, make sure the CAD scheduler you installed is using the DM name. So, VCLI looks to the DC node for a CAD scheduler, this is how it knows VC1_DC1_DM1 node is a DM.

Or at least that's how I wrapped my head around it.

PREDATAR Control23

I setup TSM for virtual environments 6.3 about a month ago and it was running fine until last week. Now the vSphere Client plugin doesn't run. I get a "Critical Error" and these error messages:

GVM0025I Successfully determined which product or products are installed.
GVM0021I A connection with the vCenter server has been established.
GVM0022E The VMCLI inquire configuration command failed, the following messages describe the error.

vmcli -f inquire_config -t TSM

#WARNING FMM16048W More than one valid TagType value was specified. The first value TagType: id:4, name:pARENT is used.
#PARENT peernode:MUNICIPALITIES-DM
#WARNING FMM16048W More than one valid TagType value was specified. The first value TagType: id:5, name:END is used.
#PARAM STATUS=warning
#END RUN 10413 20120409155041241
#END TASK 10420
#INFO FMM16014I The return code is 1.
#END

I have all of the TSM VE components with TSM BAClient 6.3.0.0 on a vStorage Backup server running Windows Server 2003. TSM Server version 6.3.1.0.

I uninstalled TSM VE completely. I deleted the C:\IBM\tivoli\tsm\tdpvmware\ewas folder and re installed. No difference. Any Ideas?

Last edited:
PREDATAR Control23

This was resolved. The derby database was corrupted. I stopped the "Data Protection for VMware vCenter command-line interface" service, renamed the derby folder and restarted the Data Protection for VMware vCenter command-line interface service.

The plugin started. I had to reconfigure it with the TSM Server name and set the vCenter Command Line Interface node.

I setup TSM for virtual environments 6.3 about a month ago and it was running fine until last week. Now the vSphere Client plugin doesn't run. I get a "Critical Error" and these error messages:

GVM0025I Successfully determined which product or products are installed.
GVM0021I A connection with the vCenter server has been established.
GVM0022E The VMCLI inquire configuration command failed, the following messages describe the error.

vmcli -f inquire_config -t TSM

#WARNING FMM16048W More than one valid TagType value was specified. The first value TagType: id:4, name:pARENT is used.
#PARENT peernode:MUNICIPALITIES-DM
#WARNING FMM16048W More than one valid TagType value was specified. The first value TagType: id:5, name:END is used.
#PARAM STATUS=warning
#END RUN 10413 20120409155041241
#END TASK 10420
#INFO FMM16014I The return code is 1.
#END

I have all of the TSM VE components with TSM BAClient 6.3.0.0 on a vStorage Backup server running Windows Server 2003. TSM Server version 6.3.1.0.

I uninstalled TSM VE completely. I deleted the C:\IBM\tivoli\tsm\tdpvmware\ewas folder and re installed. No difference. Any Ideas?

PREDATAR Control23

I ran into that as well before I had the =!ERROR issue.

If you have an empty field on the DM drop down, make sure the CAD scheduler you installed is using the DM name. So, VCLI looks to the DC node for a CAD scheduler, this is how it knows VC1_DC1_DM1 node is a DM.

Or at least that's how I wrapped my head around it.
Thanks for this approach. Unfortunately it doesn't work in my case. Maybe I do something wrong. What do you mean with "CAD scheduler installed is using the DM name"?

Thank you.

PREDATAR Control23

"CAD scheduler installed is using the DM name" refers to the CAD Schedule service setup for the Data Mover node on the Backup Server (or proxy server).

PREDATAR Control23

Thank your for the explanation. I thin I did it correct. Unfortunately there are still no DM listed.

PREDATAR Control23

This has happened to me. This is what I do.

I setup the vSphere plugin on the TSV VE backup (proxy) server

Substitute your node names for the values between the single quotes (' ').

Exit the vSphere client
Delete the data mover node
Register the node again.
Grant proxy TArget='datacenter node Agent='datamover node'
GRant AUTHority 'Command Line Interface Admin' CLasses=Node NOde='datamover node'
Delete and recreate the services for the data mover node on the backup proxy server
Restart the services 'IBM WebSphere Application Server V7.0 - TSMVEplugin' and 'Data Protection for VMware vCenter command-line interface'.
Open the vSphere client.
See if that

You can use my TSM script to do this too. You may want to change the DOmain name. I called it dmnode

tsm> run dmnode 'datamover node'

REGIster Node $1 $1 PASSE=0 USerid=NONE DOmain=Standard COMP=YES BACKDELete=YES
MAXNUMMP=30 SESSIONINITiation=CLIENTORSERVER DEDUP=CLIENTORSERVER
GRant PROXy TArget='datacenter node' AGent=$1
GRant AUTHority 'CLI Node' Classes=Node NOde=$1,'datacenter node'

Note:

'CLI Node' = Command Line Interface Node
DCnode = Data Center Node. This is the TSM node for the datacenter in the vSphere client.
DM Node = Data mover node. This is the proxy node for the datacenter node. You should have created an opt file and services on the proxy server for this node.

It took me awhile to wrap my head around it too.

PREDATAR Control23

Thanks for the steps. I'm wondering why grant authority is needed. The requirement is not documented in installation guide.

PREDATAR Control23

I'm assume you're referring to 'IBM TSM for Virtual Environments 6.3 DP for VMware Install. and Users Guide.

Tivoli Support told me to grant authority to the Command Line Interface node Administrator over all of the data mover nodes.

Go to page 55, "The inquire_detail command failed with Return Code 53". It describes what happens when the Command Line Interface node is renamed. You have to rename the Administrator to match the new node name.