Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Backing up LUNS via NDMP to a NetApp Filer using Snapshots Q

2012-09-12 22:12:45
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Backing up LUNS via NDMP to a NetApp Filer using Snapshots Q
From: Daniel Pum <dpum AT DATALINK DOT com>
To: "VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU" <VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 02:12:40 +0000
Joe,
After restoring the LUN file on the DR filer, you will need to manually create
the igroup and map the restored LUN file to that igroup.
It sounds like what you are referring to the "setup" of the LUN is actually the
mapping of that LUN to an igroup.
This mapping information is not backed up with an NDMP backup of a volume
containing LUN(s).

The igroup mapping is saved in every weekend autosupport that your filer sends
to NetApp, however.
You could recreate the igroups on the DR filer based on that data if you
haven't pre-populated them.
But I would recommend pre-populating the igroups on the DR filer - it
definitely saves time in the event of a DR situation - and NetApp's autosupport
site could always be down.

You would have the DR igroups created ahead of time but no LUNs mapped those
igroups.

I'm confused by your comment about NDMP licensing - NetApp does not have a
license for NDMP usage.
All filers can use direct NDMP (fibre channel attached drives, or more recently
SAS attached drives), remote NDMP to an NetBackup media server's storage unit
or 3-way NDMP to another NetApp filer.

At the start of each NDMP backup, the NetApp creates a snapshot automatically
just for the use of that NDMP job.
It's still a good idea to create one manually, however, just in case the NDMP
backup job fails - the snapshot is still there to retry.

The problem with a database on top of a virtualized server on top of a LUN is
that there are multiple levels of caching that need to be sync'd (database, VM
filesystem, host filesystem) before you can truly backup the underlying LUN.

-daniel