Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Upgrade to NB7.1(Linux) bkups intermittently extremely slow.

2012-09-12 20:07:36
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Upgrade to NB7.1(Linux) bkups intermittently extremely slow.
From: kmgaines <nbu-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 10:47:55 -0700
Evironment:

NetBackup 7.1.0.4
Linux RedHat 5 Master/Media
2 Linux RedHat 5 media servers

NetBackup 7.1.0.3
3 Solaris 10 Oracle media servers

NetBackup 6.5.4
2 Solaris 9 Lotus Notes media servers

Mixed Platform clients:
Intel 2003 server
Linux RedHat 5
Solaris 8,9,10

4 NetApp (3050?s, 3070?s) frames backed up via NDMP (No issues backing up to
physical tapes.  Produces expected data transfer rates. ( up to 60?s ? 80?s Mb
per sec)

Quantum i2K w/LTO-3 drives (fiber)
Data Domain VTL

Experiencing intermittent extremely slow data transfer rates when using Quantum
physical tape.  All drive diagnostic tools report all drives within tolerance.
No bandwidth limits or throttling in place.  Symantec has been engaged and
escalated (we?ve sent numerous logs from Master, Media servers, and clients)
for 4 months with NO resolution.  Intel clients seem to be impacted the most.
Client will backup 52 Gb at 38 Mb per second on day.  Next day will be 140?s Kb
per sec.   (Both incrementals)

Any insight/help would be greatly appreciated.