Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backing up LUNS via NDMP to a NetApp Filer using Snapshots Q

2012-09-12 18:47:36
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backing up LUNS via NDMP to a NetApp Filer using Snapshots Q
From: joe1871 <nbu-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 15:47:30 -0700
Hi ,

I am tasked with backing up an Oracle DB that runs in VM's (Oracle Xen).  It is
my understanding based on what the vendor told me that if I back up the Oracle
DB using NDMP I will get not only the LUNS, but the LUN setup.  Meaning if I
restore to a blank filer I can expect the LUNS to be recreated on that filer,
and Oracle should connect with some minor IP reconfiguration.

To prove this concept I took our test environment filer, a FAS2020, and a
second blank FAS2020.  I stop the DB - shut down all the pertinent VM's, take a
set of manual snapshots of all vols, and then restart all the VM's.  I then
back up the snapshots via remote NDMP - the FAS2020s are not NDMP licensed.
The next step is obviously to restore the snapshots to the blank filer as a
proof of concept.  The LUN gets restored, but I get no LUN setup - I have to
manually recreate them.

Am I correct in the first statement - that the LUNS will get rebuilt?  If I
take manual snapshots to back up the Oracle production database will I still
get the LUN setup?  Am I way off base here?

As far as I can see my only choice is to take manual snaps on the prod filer.
I can't back up the Prod DB while its running, and I can't afford the time it
takes to back up the entire environment with NDMP while it is down.  So I shut
it down, take a snap, start it again, and then back up the snap.  Is that
valid?   I don't have a large enough test restore filer to test this with the
prod environment.

Thanks in advance.

Joe