Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NDMP backup problems

2012-08-27 10:55:36
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NDMP backup problems
From: "Martin, Jonathan" <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com>
To: "Baumann, Kevin" <kbaumann AT akamai DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 10:54:54 -0400

We ran into numerous issues with NDMP and volumes with millions of files. Have you considered SnapMirror to tape for the volumes with the millions of files? You lose the capability to restore individual files and incremental backups, but backup/restore speed is ridiculously fast and rock solid. We use snapshots to cover the day to day restores, and restore the entire volume if someone needs older data. We spent years testing NDMP on various filers, and this is the only way we’ve found to solve the millions of files issue. If you want to test it out, just throw set type = smtape into the top of your selection list and run a full.

Good luck,

-Jonathan