Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Setting up Windows Media Server

2012-04-26 11:14:16
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Setting up Windows Media Server
From: "Lightner, Jeff" <JLightner AT water DOT com>
To: "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 15:14:11 +0000

Netbackup 7.1

Windows 2008 R2

Qlogic QLE2460 HBAs

Quantum i6000 Tape Library with (HP) Ultrium5 and Ultrium 3 drives.

I’m a UNIX admin so don’t really know my way around windows well.   The HBAs show up in Windows but no drives beneath them.   The HBAs show up in Qlogic’s SANSurfer and I see “type” as “disk” for the library and it doesn’t seem to have a place to change “type”.   In SANSurfer I do see LUNs for each of the tape drives.    After doing some research I used SANSurfer to turn on persistent binding and rebooted but it doesn’t seem to make a difference.

When I go into NBU console and try to create storage units it shows me the TLD0 but has it in red so presumably there is a problem.  If I try to go ahead and configure it it says:

“The device is not supported by the volumes wizard at this time”.

Are library is partitioned so that all but 1 of the drives is one partition and that 1 drive (an Ultrium 3) is in the other partition.   In the Windows devices I see the Ultrium 3 as a tape drive and the NBU storage units show that as well.   The windows devices do not show the drives from the other partitions.

I do have the SSO and Tape Drives options licensed on the server.   All the appropriate NBU services seem to be running.

If I try to setup storage unit in the NBU GUI for disk storage (for our attached dedupe appliances it shows this media server but when I tell it to use the tape it doesn’t show it.

Any ideas?

Jeffrey C. Lightner

Sr. UNIX Administrator

DS Waters of America, Inc.

5660 New Northside Drive NW

Suite 250

Atlanta, GA  30328

P: 678-486-3516

C: 678-772-0018

F: 770-937-7360

E: jlightner AT water DOT com

Athena®, Created for the Cause

How and Why I Should Support Bottled Water!
Do not relinquish your right to choose bottled water as a healthy alternative to beverages that contain sugar, calories, etc. Your support of bottled water will make a difference! Your signatures count! Go to http://www.bottledwatermatters.org/luv-bottledwater-iframe/dswaters and sign a petition to support your right to always choose bottled water. Help fight federal and state issues, such as bottle deposits (or taxes) and organizations that want to ban the sale of bottled water. Support community curbside recycling programs. Support bottled water as a healthy way to maintain proper hydration. Our goal is 50,000 signatures. Share this petition with your friends and family today!