Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup 7.5 Operational Restore or Search & Hold ??????

2012-04-18 16:43:07
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup 7.5 Operational Restore or Search & Hold ??????
From: Anurag Sharma <sharma.anurag AT hotmail DOT com>
To: veritas-bu <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 02:13:00 +0530

All

I’ve been doing deep dive in NetBackup 7.5 and the benefits involved.
One of the greatest enhancements with this release is Opscenter and the role it is going to play in the future restores

Netbackup Opscenter 7.5 comes for free and the comes with the FREE feature of “operational restore”
Operational restore allows searching files acorss multiple Netbackup domains (master servers) and does not need any special licensing and\or hardware.

I also read in great depth about Netbackup 7.5 “Search and Hold” This can also search files across the multiple NetBackup domain (master servers). However this has following requirements
  1. Search and Hold License to activate the same in opscenter
  2.  Separate Index server (new role with Netabckup 7.5)

My question is why should an organization consider investing in search and hold license and buying expensive hardware for the index server when the same can be furnished by the operational restore feature ?????