Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Restore of VM that has RDM's - missing after restore

2012-04-03 06:49:18
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Restore of VM that has RDM's - missing after restore
From: Nic Solomons <Nic.Solomons AT attenda DOT net>
To: Simon Weaver <Simon.Weaver AT iscl DOT net>, George Winter <george_winter AT symantec DOT com>, "VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU" <VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 11:47:34 +0100

I think Netbackup has attempted to become too smart for its own good with the recent developments in vmware backups.

Whereas VCB took the entire VMX file, as an individual file (including all sorts of useful things, like RDM pointers etc), the new VADP integration seems to read the contents of the VMX file, and determines what information is relevant, discarding the rest.

So if you are using RDMs, I hope you have the volume mappings recorded somewhere else.  And if you have a VMX file become corrupted, I hope you have a good record of VM memory configuration, disk pointers etc… because the only way I can see with the NB7.1 VADP setup to recover that 2KB text file is to restore the entire VM. Which for a larger VM can take quite a while…

Cheers,
Nic