Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Restore of VM that has RDM's - missing after restore

2012-04-01 05:59:39
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Restore of VM that has RDM's - missing after restore
From: "Simon Weaver" <Simon.Weaver AT iscl DOT net>
To: "George Winter" <george_winter AT symantec DOT com>, <VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU>
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2012 10:58:58 +0100
Hi George
I understand RDM's cannot be backed up, thats not the actual issue here that I am seeing.

Here is a given scenario and the situation I am seeing:

1 x VM with C: Drive Windows OS and E Drive which is an RDM. The VM has NetBackup Client software installed.

I have a Flashbackup-windows policy for this VM and use all local drives. The backup of the VMDK works great, and I am NOT expecting to see the RDM present, so I know that will not be in the BAR Tool.

Here is the problem I am seeing:-

If the machine is recovered from NetBackup as a VMware Restored machine, it restores great, but there is NO E: Drive present. I understand RDM's cannot be backed up, but what I am trying to say is why is the E: drive missing after the restore? Does the VM configuration itself know that it has an RDM and try to reattach it if it can be seen?

If I have over 500 VM's and most have an E: Drive as an RDM Disk, then recovery of a VM is going to be pretty hard if the VM config doesnt know about the RDM.

Does this help explain the problem I am potentially seeing? Its just that I thought NetBackup protected the entire VM, including the configuration of the VM, even if it had an RDM Mapped (which I know cannot be backed up). If it knows it should have an RDM Mapped, then why does it not show it after the recovery of the VM?

Simon