Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Archive list

2012-03-12 10:44:22
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Archive list
From: Wayne T Smith <WTSmith AT maine DOT edu>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 10:44:19 -0400
Good points and summary, Bob.

My argument wasn't that archives are less restorable, especially if
they were covered by scheduled backups before the archive.  They are
probably in as safe a place as the rest of the backups.

What I meant was that without the live copy, my chances of losing the
data altogether are greater.  I used to have three copies (live and
traditional onsite and offsite backups), but now have, at best, only
two.   Two "should be" more than enough, but its not as good as three.

I'd argue that unless the backup administrator and data owner
understand NetBackup "archive" and their own NetBackup implementation,
data loss can occur.

For example, a few weeks ago I had a data storage failure moments
after a backup "successfully" finished and before the data could be
replicated to a second backup storage.

If my data owner had data new to the backup system and  the
"successful" backup job was instead an archive, that data would have
been lost.

I would feel better about NetBackup archive if the live data deletion
could be made to occur once the backup system "successfully"
replicated, but I still contend the organization needs to realize that
if archive is stored like backup, once archived, the data is in one
less place than before.

My thanks to all contributors, too.

Cheers, Wayne

On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 3:54 AM, bob944 <bob944 AT attglobal DOT net> wrote, in
part: