Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Archive list

2012-03-09 09:04:56
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Archive list
From: David Rock <david AT graniteweb DOT com>
To: "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 08:04:39 -0600
* Kevin Holtz <klh1456 AT gmail DOT com> [2012-03-09 07:47]:
> All is true but I wouldn't say it's something NBU was not designed to
> do.  It was made difficult for a reason rather than easy due to the
> nature of the outcome e.g. Archiving.  This is very common practice
> for DBA's.  Yes, this all needs to be scripted, blat etc. and you will
> need admins to help if you don't have access to the local systems.

By "not designed to do" I specifically mean that NBU is not designed to
have the backup admins be responsible for running archive jobs.
Archives are inherently dangerous and as such, only the owner of the
files being archived is really intended to be the one to determine of
archiving is ok.

Backup admins are generally in the business of preserving data for
recovery, not removal of files from systems.

--
David Rock
david AT graniteweb DOT com