Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Issues with media server dedupe pools / replication / restores ??

2012-02-23 10:21:59
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Issues with media server dedupe pools / replication / restores ??
From: "Mark Glazerman" <Mark.Glazerman AT spartech DOT com>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 09:21:54 -0600

I’m wondering if anyone has observed strange behavior like this with regard to media server dedupe pools and associated replication and restores.

Here’s our scenario…

We have 2 media server dedupe pools setup.  One hangs off a local media server.  The other hangs off a media server at our DR site.  The local pool has the credentials of the remote pool (to enable push replication).  The remote pool doesn’t have any extra credentials although we’d ideally like to setup a pull replication setup where the remote pool has the credentials of the local pool and initiates the pull of images).

We backup to the local dedupe pool and then have an SLP which duplicates those images to the pool hanging off the remote media server.

All the primary backup images are in the local pool.  All the copy 2’s are in the remote pool.  Data in both pools has the same retention.

If all of that is in place and backups and replication are working, when we’re asked to restore a file who’s primary copy is in the local pool, it will try and route the backup through the remote media server (which doesn’t have the primary image).  The restore job will just sit there until we cancel it.

The only way we have found to resolve this issue is to remove the credentials of the remote media server from the local media server dedupe pool (which disables our ability to replicate data between the 2 pools), reboot all NBU machines (master server and media servers) and the restart all the NBU services.

Once this has been done, restores look automatically at the local media server (where the primary image always resides) and the restore is successful.

Support are being as good as useless so I’m reaching out to you fine folks to see if anyone has any advice.

NBU environment is 7.1 solaris x86 master, 7.1 media servers on windows 2008 R2.

Thanks,

Mark Glazerman

Enterprise Storage Administrator

Spartech Corporation

Desk: 314-889-8282

Fax: 314-854-8282

Cell: 618-520-3401

mark.glazerman AT spartech DOT com

http://www.spartech.com

P please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential, are intended solely for the use of the addressee, and may be legally privileged. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender immediately, and do not copy or forward it.