Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Cleaning tape setup Quantum i6000 Library

2012-02-02 16:22:00
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Cleaning tape setup Quantum i6000 Library
From: "Lightner, Jeff" <JLightner AT water DOT com>
To: "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 21:16:48 +0000

To set NetBackup cleaning as opposed to robot cleaning itself I gather we need to setup barcode rules as discussed in the following thread:

http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/cleaning-tape-cln

I’ve done that but am curious if they are correct about having to set HC2_CLN for HCART2 and HC_CLN for HCART?   We have a mix of LTO3 (which we have as HCART) and LTO5 (which we have as HCART2) but the cleaning tapes are “Universal” so would work in either drive type.  Do I really have to try to setup both HC_CLN and HC2_CLN?  It seemed to me that the HC_CLN and HC2_CLN were just to allow you to have 2 different kinds of cleaning tapes.

Additionally – I’ve disabled the robot’s automatic cleaning and moved the cleaning tapes from the special cleaning slots to the general slots.   Other than that and setting the barcode rules is there anything I need to do to enable NBU cleaning?

The drive cleaning frequency is set to 0 hours.  Is it correct to think this is appropriate because I want the cleaning to be based on “tape alerts” rather than frequency based on the recommendation I saw in the NBU help?

Jeffrey C. Lightner

Sr. UNIX Administrator

DS Waters of America, Inc.

5660 New Northside Drive NW