Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Sun Servers

2011-12-08 10:38:44
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Sun Servers
From: "Valenze, Christopher" <chris AT batechp DOT com>
To: Carl Mathews <cmathews AT uark DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 10:38:39 -0500
My customer uses M series for Master servers and T series for Media servers.  When I was at Symantec this issue came up quite often.  The general advice was that if you could afford it, the M Series was better for the master.  There was also discussions of future changes to NBU to make it more performant on the T series.

Of course if your budget is limited, then it would be nice if you could provide some information on your projected load (Tuning Guide stuff like # of media servers, jobs, etc) as to whether it will really be necessary to go to the M.

Also, if you're rolling out a new server you really need to look to the future and ask your Symantec SE if any of the changes in 7.5 will cause additional load on the Master.  It's in public beta so you can see the changes.  NetBackup Search, which I believe is indexing of the catalog, is one feature that concerns me in regards to load, but I haven't had time to try the Beta in my lab yet.