Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NetBacku 7.1.0.2: Configuring NBAC to enable OpCentre Audit Trails User ID Info

2011-12-01 16:18:47
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NetBacku 7.1.0.2: Configuring NBAC to enable OpCentre Audit Trails User ID Info
From: "NBUAdmin" <NBUAdmin AT durham DOT ca>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2011 16:18:06 -0500
Version: NetBackup Enterprise 7.1.0.2, OpsCentre (Basic); 1 Master/Media & 2 additional Media servers.
OS: Windows 2008 R2 Standard

We have recently upgraded to NBU 7.1.0.2 from 6.5.6 One of the features that we wanted to use in our environment was the Ops Centre (Basic) "Monitor" function called "Audit Trails" to track who makes changes to Policies, Jobs, etc.. According to a tech note (http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH159387), if we want to see the actual user, rather than simply 'administrator' we must configure NetBackup Access Control (NBAC).

The configuration of NBAC is detailed in the NetBackup Security and Encryption Guide (http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC3655), providing various scenarios of configuration, however, not specifically mentioning or addressing requirements for Audit Trail functionality.

Three Questions:

1. Do I need to extend NBAC to all my clients that I am backing up, or just configure on my Master & Media servers, if all I want is to track are the user id's in OpsCentre Audit Trails, and not restrict or control access to the clients for the User ID's or Groups I will be setting up with NBAC? I would prefer not to have to configure the clients if at all possible.

2. Once I run the command to enable NBAC, is my system still wide open until such time as I restrict with the users and groups I am setting up?

3. Has anyone encountered any 'gotchas' with configuring NBAC?

Your assistance with this issue is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Linda

THIS MESSAGE IS FOR THE USE OF THE INTENDED RECIPIENT(S) ONLY AND MAY CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT IS PRIVILEGED, PROPRIETARY, CONFIDENTIAL, AND/OR EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE UNDER ANY RELEVANT PRIVACY LEGISLATION. No rights to any privilege have been waived. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying, conversion to hard copy, taking of action in reliance on or other use of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient and have received this message in error, please notify me by return e-mail and delete or destroy all copies of this message.