Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Robot inquiry/poll/how well does your robot/s work?

2011-12-01 10:25:48
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Robot inquiry/poll/how well does your robot/s work?
From: Jim VandeVegt <Jim.Vandevegt AT physiciansmutual DOT com>
To: "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2011 09:24:56 -0600
I think ADIC was bought by or became Quantum.

I've had a Quantum i500 operational for 18 months with only one case related to
the robot. A ribbon cable wasn't routed quite right and it caught on the head.
This case was within the first couple months, resolved, with no issues since.
Ours is maximum height, 41U, about 400 usable slots + 18 exchanger, with 5x HP
LTO5 tape drives. Connectivity through Qlogic switches to a Sun master/media.

My only complaint is the robot feed rate (how fast it moves and gets the job
done) is quite a bit slower than the STK L180 it replaced ... but it was also
considerably lower cost than both the L180 when it was originally purchased or
a comparable SL-500. The slower feed rate is really only noticeable when you're
standing in front of it waiting for it to eject some tapes.

Previous experience with StorageTek L180, 9740, and L700 were all good. They
were very solid boxes albeit expensive. Unfortunately I think the jury is still
out on Oracle's long-term direction and support of the product line.
Jim VandeVegt | Technical Integrator, ETG, Physicians Mutual