Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] veritas netbackup 6.5 encrypt backup tape

2011-11-29 12:55:32
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] veritas netbackup 6.5 encrypt backup tape
From: John Berchmans <pjberchmans AT yahoo DOT com>
To: "VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU" <VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU>, JeffLightner <JLightner AT water DOT com>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 09:55:23 -0800 (PST)
Please read some of the limitations of encrypting backups using software or
drive based encryption:

Limitations of using software-based encryption:
• Disaster recovery is not supported with encrypted backups.
Therefore you must not encrypt backups used for Disaster Recovery restore.

Limitations of using drive-based encryption:
• Drive-based decryption may not work if the encryption metadata values on the
tape medium are tampered.
• If for eg the LTO-4 tape drive is connected through a Network Storage Router
(NSR), then encryption is supported only if the router firmware supports
encryption related SCSI commands.

Other factors:

- Suppose you choose both software-based and drive-based encryption on the same
host, its possible there could be only one key file used for both.
- For security reasons, it may not be possible to delete a key. It is only
possible to deactivate a key.
- Enabling software-based encryption reduces the effectiveness of drive-based
compression.
- Backed up data cannot be restored if all encryption keys used during backup
sessions are not available.
- Since encrypted backup sessions are CPU intensive and time consuming. It will
affect the over all contingency plan,in case of disaster and if you had to
recover the data.