Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] veritas netbackup 6.5 encrypt backup tape

2011-11-29 02:08:56
Subject: [Veritas-bu] veritas netbackup 6.5 encrypt backup tape
From: novice123 <nbu-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 22:59:17 -0800
Dear All,

During a risk assessment exercise, I realized that my backup admin does not
encrypt data in backup tapes. He argues, it is not required as an adversary
cannot recover/read data from the backup tape, assuming its stolen, if he does
not have the corresponding catalog. He further adds that catalog is kept
secure. We are using Veritas netbackup 6.5. I am unfamiliar with the
technology, hence would want to know the following:

a) If catalogs are secure, why should the software have a feature for
encrypting data in the backup tape?

b) If the argument is invalid, how can an adversary read/recover the data from
the stolen backup tapes, even if he does not have the catalog. Please help in
articulating the risk.

Any help in this regard is appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation