Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] netbackup 6.5: socket read failed ??

2011-11-16 12:38:52
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] netbackup 6.5: socket read failed ??
From: Wayne T Smith <WTSmith AT maine DOT edu>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 12:38:37 -0500
Assuming you're using the standard "vnetd" communication, port 13782 is no longer required as it was with version 5/5.1 ... just port 13724.

From your NetBackup server(s), run "bptestbpcd -client< clientname>" for each client.  Telnet on port 13724 will work, too, but the response is not as clear (as you have found ... the connection will NOT drop in 5 seconds if all is OK).

If there are problems, I look at these

  • Are the firewalls of server and client open in both directions for port 13724?
  • If using DNS (why aren't you using DNS?!), make sure forward and reverse DNS lookups work.
  • Ensure the NetBackup server(s) is/are properly  listed in the client configuration.
  • For Windows, ensure the NetBackup Client Service is started on the client.
  • For Windows, does the domain controller know of the NetBackup servers?
  • If multiple paths (IP addresses) are available, ensure NetBackup uses the path you want

This catches nearly all setup problems I have.

Cheers, Wayne