Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NDMP backups

2011-11-02 00:45:39
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NDMP backups
From: oersted <nbu-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2011 21:45:27 -0700
forget NDMP with Isilon.....there is much better method, which I have only done
with NFS.

Take your media server and hard mount UNC to each individual node.

take the number of subdirectories in the root and divide by the number of nodes

yes it might not be an even number, but you'll have slight imbalance..1

yes...you could script to check for subs in root and chop it up evenly and
update backup selections

Or, if you have tight controls where you work...anytime storage admin creates a
new subdirectory in root, you are notified to rebalance backup selections.

then set backup selections as follows

For example: you have four nodes and 16 subs

NEW_STREAM

//unc-path-node1/ifs/directories 1-4

NEW_STREAM
//unc-path-node2/ifs/directories 5-8

NEW_STREAM
//unc-path-node3/ifs/directories 9-12

NEW_STREAM
//unc-path-node4/ifs/directories 13-16

what this winds up doing is making the Isilon use its backplane (Infiniband)
between nodes because that's what its meant for...the collective throughput of
many connections to many nodes being hit all at once.

10GbE on media server really rips!!

I've seen 500+ MB per seond